Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand -- Works on Lin

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bgoodr

Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand -- Works on Lin

Post by bgoodr »

Two USB microscopes through Adafruit are:
  1. USB Microscope - 5MP interpolated 220x magnification / 8 LEDs -- Has a page at Adafruit USB Microscope – Work with Linux? Yes! that indicates it works under Linux.
  2. Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand -- Cannot find a page stating it works under Linux.

Is there a page showing that #2 above will work under Linux?

Thanks!

adafruit2

Re: Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand -- Works on

Post by adafruit2 »

It ought to just show up as a video device but we haven't tested it specifically and linux always has driver issues so we're going to say it is not assured to work.
If you try it out and determine one way or another, please let us know!

bgoodr

Post by bgoodr »

adafruit2 wrote:If you try it out and determine one way or another, please let us know!
Actually the manufacturer should provide product development services for more than just Microsoft and Apple versus requiring end-users to provide it. Because if I purchase it, and I cannot get drivers to work with it, then I'll have to return it (and I don't know what the return policy is such as who pays for shipping in that context).

I see another user that had (unrelated to Linux) trouble with the device: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=62095

So I have to hesitate on a purchase of #2.

Regards
bg

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't manufacture that scope, so we're limited by the support the manufacturer provides. If it doesn't fit your needs, by all means look for one that does.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

bgoodr wrote:
adafruit2 wrote:If you try it out and determine one way or another, please let us know!
Actually the manufacturer should provide product development services for more than just Microsoft and Apple versus requiring end-users to provide it. Because if I purchase it, and I cannot get drivers to work with it, then I'll have to return it (and I don't know what the return policy is such as who pays for shipping in that context).

I see another user that had (unrelated to Linux) trouble with the device: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=62095

So I have to hesitate on a purchase of #2.

Regards
bg
Hiya, the main reason we hestitate to promise linux support of any kind is that it is so device driver/kernel dependent. we have seen changes in the kernel version affect support. if we know for sure it works with a particular linux distro because one of the staff on linux tried it, and we know that it will never change because say we manufacture it, we publish that. Manufacturers change the chipsets out once in a while, and whenever that happens, linux support is the first to fail! We'd rather be honest than promise something that is not guaranteed!

bgoodr

Post by bgoodr »

adafruit2 wrote:Hiya, the main reason we hestitate to promise linux support of any kind is that it is so device driver/kernel dependent. we have seen changes in the kernel version affect support.
Agreed. I conclude from that and the previous post that Adafruit cannot provide Linux support in any comprehensive manner other than the heroic efforts of one or more Adafruit employees. And, therefore it falls upon the manufacturer to explicitly state the level of Linux support (which particular kernel versions, release names and versions such as Ubuntu 12, Fedora 16, etc., not unlike support for Windows 7, Windows 8 should be spelled out by the manufacturer).

However, I went back to the Adafruit Aluminum USB Microscope with Precision Stand page to find the link to the manufacturer to see what they specifically state about any form of Linux support, and couldn't find any such link. I only found a section for other distributors main web pages, not a link to the manufacturers specific product page for that specific device. Is there a particular reason why the link back to the manufacturer is not being provided there?
adafruit2 wrote:We'd rather be honest than promise something that is not guaranteed!
I appreciate that honesty very much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”