Design issue with PRINTINZ for Printrbot Simple Metal

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mattmerkle

Design issue with PRINTINZ for Printrbot Simple Metal

Post by mattmerkle »

There's a design issue with the PRINTINZ: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2233

The copper layer inside the board is not the same distance from the surface on both sides. Thus, the advertised "print on both sides" feature of this board is not without a serious caveat.

Unfortunately, I didn't discover this sizing difference until today. I had already calibrated by z-probe for one side, very carefully, and it worked great. But then I flipped it for my next print and to my horror, it dived right into the board and carved a nice chunk out of it before I was able to run over and yank the cable.

This was when, upon closer inspection, I discovered the difference in the (fiberglass?) surface thickness is different on each side, meaning there's no way to flip this board without carefully re-calibrating the z-probe. It's not dramatically different, but as anyone with a 3D printer knows, it doesn't take much to mess up a print.

I'm pretty peeved about this, it's not a cheap item and it's irreparably damaged. I understand if this sort of damage isn't covered by Adafruit support, but I hope at the very least Adafruit puts a LARGE BOLD disclaimer on the product page about this issue! There's no reason anyone else should have a damaged board after this!

Also, a minor nitpick: if possible, don't put the Adafruit product ID sticker on the boards in the future, they're a pain to get off and leave the glue residue on the board.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Design issue with PRINTINZ for Printrbot Simple Metal

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hi. Sorry about the trouble. PrintrBot support is handled by PrintrBot:
https://printrbot.com/support/
https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

mattmerkle

Post by mattmerkle »

Uhm, this isn't really a problem with the Printrbot, it's your print plate.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we're alerting the maker of the plate (PRINTinZ.com)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement print plate

mattmerkle

Post by mattmerkle »

Okay, thanks, will do!

mattmerkle

Post by mattmerkle »

Just updating that PRINTINZ is sending me a replacement and looks like they'll be making an effort to inform users of the potential for this to happen. For those interested in the plate I wouldn't shy away from it because of this issue (which is why I'm getting a replacement, not a refund), just make sure to keep in mind that both sides may not be equal! They said they're going to try and ensure the chances of this is reduced, but it sounds like the tolerances are just too small to make that a guarantee, so just be careful, Printrbot folks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”