printinz surface flaws

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
insane2k

printinz surface flaws

Post by insane2k »

Hi,

i have just received my printinz for printrbot simple metal the other day, and on inspecting the plate i was concerned to find what appears to be manufacturing flaws in the surface. it looks to be lines of bubbles possibly from spreading in manufacture and these bubbles were deeper than the level they must have worked the surface too. these do not look like scratches or any issue in transit and i have not printed onto that plates or used the plate in any way.

as a result i have two sides that have deep lines across the center areas of the plate.
i am fearful that this will imprint the line into my printed surface - particularly if the head extrudes along the flaw.
as the first layer of a print is pressed i don't see that this gap will be bridged.

has anyone else had this?
for the price i had high expectations and am a little upset about this.

this is very hard to photograph and looks worse in person compared to the pictures.

bad side, deep and very central

good side, deep and wide, double line but fades at one end and off center a bit.

closeup

adafruit

Re: printinz surface flaws

Post by adafruit »

we emailed the maker so they can check this out and say if it's normal or not, stay tuned!

PRINTinZ

Post by PRINTinZ »

Hi,

This is Wayne from PRINTinZ. The marks you are seeing are exactly as you guessed, spreading the resin during manufacturing. While these will be present to some extent in many plates (depending where they fall in the master blank they are cut from), they are not typically that deep and don't affect the print. I'd like to ask you to try printing on it as is and see what results you get. If you have some fine sandpaper, you could even make a couple of light passes over those grooves to blend them in a little.

If you are unhappy with it at all, please email me at [email protected] and we will replace or refund immediately.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Wayne

insane2k

Post by insane2k »

thanks for the fast response! i wasnt intending to bother the support channels until i worked out if i was actually dealing with a problem. i was away last weekend and tonight finally got time to calibrate the printinz and have done what you suggested which was to just print on it and see results. unfortunately the results aren't to hot. the line is very visible on the otherwise beautiful finish. (see pics)

i'm not entirely comfortable in trying sandpaper - i would have thought that the entire surface needs to be evenly sanded? and i am sure i'd butcher the polished surface with scratches.

Can i ask if the final finish of the printinz is polished or just fine sanded to a finish?
as its close to a glass finish - i am assuming it is sanded then polished ... like crazy.

amazing adhesion btw.
thanks for your support, and your straight up options for resolution are an instant relief as i work this out.

PRINTinZ

Post by PRINTinZ »

Hi,

Thanks for posting the photo! That really tells the story. You must have received one with a resin void much deeper than normal. My apologies for that. Your picture really helps us with drawing the line between acceptable tool marks and unacceptable.

I do not think that will be correctable with sanding. Please email me at [email protected] with your contact info and I will get a replacement plate out to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Wayne

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”