defective Hakko FX-888D?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thrane

defective Hakko FX-888D?

Post by thrane »

I ordered a Hakko FX-888D soldering iron on March 15. I've been trying to use it, but I think it is defective. The iron heats up, but it has a hard time becoming hot enough to use. I'm using fine 60/40 core solder (should have a melting point low- to mid-300s) and but I have to crank up the unit so the display reads high 400s/low 500s to melt it. I have tried to measure the tip temperature. The Hakko FG-100 tip thermometer is more expensive than the soldering iron ($195 on Amazon) so I relied on two different thermometers that I already own: an instant read cooking pin and a laser/IR unit. Both report the the same: Basically the soldering iron struggles to climb above the low 300s (F). I have tried to calibrate the temperature as detailed in the instruction manual. But I must have reached a limit on how much I'm allowed to calibrate as it will no longer accept additional calibration values lower than what it is now at. I'm happy to try other things to make it work otherwise I would like to exchange this for a new (working) unit. Please advise other steps to take or initiate a replacement process for me.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: defective Hakko FX-888D?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”