Simple Metal Printrbot Click from feeder

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Duskbump

Simple Metal Printrbot Click from feeder

Post by Duskbump »

Ok, so here is one for you....

Got a Simple Metal about 3-4 months ago from adafruit. I love it. I print often. If I had to guess I am an easy 600 hours in to print time.

I have had no problems with the bot..... BUT... about a week ago I get this clicking sound. Upon further inspection I get the idea it is eminating from the PLA motor/ feeder. So i watch some more and I can see the motor turning backwards when the click occurs. +note: I can say 100% I do not believe this to be a retraction issue+ I tried some green PLA and some red then some clear. All of the types getting the same issue CLICK CLICK CLICK! The prints are thin in some spots and quality has been compromised. Something is wrong... Ideas on how to troubleshoot and repair would be helpful.

I have already tried printing the PLA at an increased temp of 212 F (normally I print at 208 F) ... this did make the problem less obvious, but the cause and fix still elude me!

Thanks and best to you!

adafruit2

Re: Simple Metal Printrbot Click from feeder

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, while we sell the PrintrBots - support is handled by PrinterBot, they're rather complex and you'll get the best responses from them!

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1760# ... ils-anchor

Duskbump

Post by Duskbump »

Thats cool... and I appreciate your response.

I was looking for some feedback on if anyone who reads these post has had this problem. Its quite a large community of DIY people and usually leads me to good advice on project issues.

I will contact printrbot.

Best to ya!

Duskbump

Post by Duskbump »

After more investigation and an Email to Printrbot... It seems my problem was a simple Clog. I did a "Dry Pull" to clean the nozzle. Heat the bot up to 230 C and let sit for 5 min then extrude about 10mm of PLA let cool to 100 C... again let sit for about 5 min. Then >with hand< pull the PLA from the bot. I heard a pop, after the 2nd attempt with this technique no more CLICK sounds and Prints are looking good!

Just some FYI for the poeple.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear it's working for you, and thanks for posting the follow-up!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”