Cutting Top and Bottom of EL Tape

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rliberto

Cutting Top and Bottom of EL Tape

Post by rliberto »

Can you cut the tops and bottoms of the El tape? (Height)

The clear layer on the top and bottom of my RED EL Tape is adding height and causing a slight fitment issue for my particular application. Can this also be cut and sealed? This is for an automotive installation so there is metal around the surface of the application... if that is something i should be aware of.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Cutting Top and Bottom of EL Tape

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The clear top surface protects the phosphors that glow. I don't believe it is possible to remove it without destroying the tape.

rliberto

Post by rliberto »

So just trimming it to shorten its height with an exacto or something not a good idea? I just dont wanna ruin the electical system of the tape.

also i'm just meaning trimming it down a little rather than removing it all together.

adafruit_support_bill

Do you mean the actual top surface layer, or the edges of the tape? You can trim the edges back a bit. Just be careful not to cut into the glowing part of the tape.

rliberto

Post by rliberto »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Do you mean the actual top surface layer, or the edges of the tape? You can trim the edges back a bit. Just be careful not to cut into the glowing part of the tape.

Yes, the edges of the tape. i attached a pic. the white area being what i what to trim... if i did this could i just tape it to seal it?
Attachments
El tape.png
El tape.png (583.06 KiB) Viewed 355 times

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, you can trim that. If you get too close to the glowing part and expose the inner layers, you can seal it with some clear packing tape.

rliberto

Post by rliberto »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Yes, you can trim that. If you get too close to the glowing part and expose the inner layers, you can seal it with some clear packing tape.
Awesome! i've got extra tape in case i mess it up too lol ... Thank you for your help!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”