New Feather Board?

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
geekguy

New Feather Board?

Post by geekguy »

I would love to see Adafruit's take on a Feather board using the STM32F405RG (Cortex-M4) with the WICED WiFi module. It might have both Arduino and MicroPython programming options. This is the same processor used on the MicroPython Board. I am especially interested in the possibility of having a WiFi capable Feather that can run full MicroPython. Having this power in a Feather sized board would be awesome!

Is this a possibility for the future?

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

Re: New Feather Board?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I think we'll probably leave it at this for the foreseeable future:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/3056

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:I think we'll probably leave it at this for the foreseeable future:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/3056
That one is on my radar. I have not been able to get the Arduino stuff manually installed into Arduino IDE 1.6.8 on OS X though.

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

geekguy wrote:I have not been able to get the Arduino stuff manually installed into Arduino IDE 1.6.8 on OS X though.
Really? What seems to be the problem?

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote: Really? What seems to be the problem?
I do not know. I just did a complete reinstall according to the tutorial ( https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... i/overview ). and restarted the Arduino IDE. However, I do not get a board selection for the WICED board. I cloned the Git repo. I do not have a WICED Feather yet.

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

It doesn't show up with the rest of the adafruit boards. It's in a separate grouping. I have enough boards installed that I actually have to scroll down in the boards list to find it.

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:It doesn't show up with the rest of the adafruit boards. It's in a separate grouping. I have enough boards installed that I actually have to scroll down in the boards list to find it.
I also have many boards installed, and have to scroll to see them all. There is no "Adafruit Feather Boards" catagory, and the "Adafruit WICED Feather" does not show up anywhere.

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

Hmmm. Let's go over it. I have the WICED folder installed like this:

Code: Select all

/Users/rick/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Adafruit_WICED_Arduino
On windows, it would still go in your sketchbook folder (not the Arduino program folder):

C:\Users\rick\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Adafruit_WICED_Arduino
Do you have the Arduino SAM Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M3) board package installed?

Can you see the Arduino Due in your boards list?

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Hmmm. Let's go over it. I have the WICED folder installed like this:

/Users/rick/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Adafruit_WICED_Arduino
This is what I have.
adafruit_support_rick wrote:Do you have the Arduino SAM Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M3) board package installed?

Can you see the Arduino Due in your boards list?
Yes, and yes.

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

Well, the only difference I can see is that you cloned the repo and I just copied it. Can't see why that would be a problem.
What version of the IDE are you running? Maybe upgrade to the latest?

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Well, the only difference I can see is that you cloned the repo and I just copied it. Can't see why that would be a problem.
I have tried it both ways - cloning the repo, and using the zip arching. Same results.
adafruit_support_rick wrote:What version of the IDE are you running? Maybe upgrade to the latest?
v1.6.8, the very latest.

I am thoroughly mystified. Maybe there is something weird in the OS X version of the IDE. I am also running the very latest version of OS X El Capitan.

8-Dale

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

This is strange to me since almost all the development was done on OS X using 10.11.4, although I'm on Arduino 1.6.5 (the very latest version has some issues).

The only two things I can think of are file permission issues or something that I didn't encounter with Arduino 1.6.8. Is there any chance you could try with 1.6.5 just to see what happen, but I'll update to 1.6.8 here on another machine to test with.

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

ktownsend wrote:The only two things I can think of are file permission issues or something that I didn't encounter with Arduino 1.6.8. Is there any chance you could try with 1.6.5 just to see what happen, but I'll update to 1.6.8 here on another machine to test with.
Even with 1.6.5, I don't see the WICED board. :-( There has to be something weird with my laptop, but I don't know what it is.

8-Dale

adafruit_support_rick

Double-check that you have the right sketchbook path specified in Arduino Preferences.

geekguy

Post by geekguy »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Double-check that you have the right sketchbook path specified in Arduino Preferences.
I do.

8-Dale

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”