New Guy Here - Pi vs Adruino

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
leggomydago

New Guy Here - Pi vs Adruino

Post by leggomydago »

Hello all. My name is Anthony and I had a question as I get ready to make my first purchase. I am deciding between Raspberry Pi and Adruino. After researching, I now understand the difference as one is a micro-controller and the other is a computer.

I am looking for something to mess around with...control servos, electrical motors, etc. Ultimately, I would love to learn programming languages which first led me to RPi. After looking into it, it seems the Adruino is the best route to help me learn the fundamentals of electronic components due to the simplicity of the I/O. I would hate to get a RPi and be lost in those fundamentals and the programming as well.

Am I overthinking this? I've read Python is fairly quick to get used to but RPi adds a layer of complexity with external hardware compared to Adruino. Again, my experience is limited with both.

Thanks in advance. I am super excited to get started and to get to know all of you.

Anthony

adafruit_support_bill

Re: New Guy Here - Pi vs Adruino

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Based on what you describe, I'd start with the Arduino. That is the easiest way to get going with servos and motors and such. It is also a good way to learn a bit about embedded programming techniques. If you are like most people, you will probably have a box full of Arduinos as well as a Pi or two before long :wink:

leggomydago

Re: New Guy Here - Pi vs Adruino

Post by leggomydago »

Perfect. Thanks for the help. :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”