Who's home - Raspberry Pi

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Agash

Who's home - Raspberry Pi

Post by Agash »

Hi :)

First of all, excuse me for my bad english, I'm from Switzerland.

Me and my friend want to make a little home automation system for a school project. The goal is to save electricity (to conserve mother nature <3), among other things, by toggling devices when no one is home anymore.
We want to create the system with a Raspberry Pi. Is there a possibility to check if anyone is in the room or in the house? The area we want to cover is about 50m2.
I was thinking of something like a tag that everybody carries around, but RFID has only a small range, checking the bluetooth connection of a smartphone takes too much battery of the smartphone (of course BLE would save energy but the range is also poor). Is there another way?

Thanks & Regards
Agash

Agash

Re: Who's home - Raspberry Pi

Post by Agash »

I have now found a solution. Since we wanted to develop a smartphone app anyway, we use this, as follows: Instead of only communicating within the local LAN, the app just always sends the position of itself to the RPi (via dyndns also from outside the local LAN). On the basis of this position and the radius of the area we can then activate the switch-off after a certain delay.

I think at the moment this is the best solution, or are there any other ideas?

Regards
Agash

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”