AR1100 Android

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: AR1100 Android

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't know how it works with androids. If it's not working for you, Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund

razvan33sud

Post by razvan33sud »

zwanni wrote:I had the same problem and afer a lot of searching I found a solution in another forum.

- Download the AR Configuration software from microchip to your windows PC.

- Connect the AR1100 to your PC.

- Start the software and run the manual setup wizzard

- Choose: AR1100 USB Digitizer, 4-wire, 9-Point Calibration and follow the configuration steps. You can't calibrate in Digitizer mode. The wizzard automaticly switchs to Generic HID device for calibration, so thats the easiest way.

- Connect the AR1100 to your Android device. You have a working TouchScreen in stylus mode at this point (maybe after reboot).

- Download the attachment and extract the *.idc file. Put it in your adb directory on your PC "...\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools"

- Connect your Android device to your PC with debugging mode

- Enable write access on /system with ES-File Explorer or similar app

- Open command line on your pc and change directory to your adb path "...\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools"

- write "adb remount" (mostly necessary to get access on /system path)

- write "adb push Vendor_04d8_Product_0c03.idc /system/usr/idc" to transfer the file on your device

- write "adb reboot" to reboot your device

- after reboot you have a working touchscreen

I make an account especially to thank zwanni for his post. I made a car project like him with a Tv box called MX3 and after 1 week of hard work, this post made finally my touchscreen work in "touch mode" not "touchpad mode" and I can use my tvbox as I anticipated. So, I've testes on android this AR1100 module and it works in any situation. Thanks a lot zwanni and have a good day :D

tehlulz

Post by tehlulz »

I was able to make the touchscreen start in "touch mode" instead of "touchpad mode" on boot by running some commands to unbind/rebind the hid-generic drivers in Android. I also made an app that will automatically run the commands you need to run on boot. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but the details are here:

http://www.sigma.zone/2015/05/ar1100-to ... er-on.html

8bitdan

Post by 8bitdan »

I have the same Adafruit 5" 800x480 TFT HDMI Backpack for use with my Android RK1388 Stick to make a simple in car pc

As you can see i am having problems with the resolution and wondered if anyone else has had this issue and had a workaround. I have tried scaling and changing the resolution with android setting but still on shows part of the GUI on screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

timja979

Post by timja979 »

Im having the same issues with a jailbroken iPhone. Set the ar1100 as usb mouse and it shows up but the calibration is all off. I did Calibrate first using my pc and microchip software. Any ideas?

Tsunami50

Post by Tsunami50 »

I'm trying to do the same for a pipboy project but the file isn't available, could someone re-upload it?

Tsunami50

Post by Tsunami50 »

I got the idc file and the touch screen now works,
the only problem is that i get an error message saying "unfortunatly System UI has stopped working" that pops up consantly.

when i disconnect the screen from the device (power it using a battery pack) the message stops flashing up.

has anyone encountered this problem before and managed to fix it. it would be most welcome

Haptown

Post by Haptown »

Just got the AR1100 PID 1580 working with a 7" 4-wire resistive touchscreen LCD connected to a ProBox2 EX android 4.4.2 stick PC. Thanks to zwanni for putting me on the correct path.

In the configuration utility 2.20 zip, I finally noticed in the readme that Microsoft .NET 2.0 was required. If you have a Windows 7 PC, then you will need to install .NET 3.5, which I never could get 3.5 to install. For a Windows XP PC, you should be good to go and that was what I finally used. Do not install any drivers for the AR1100, let Windows use the generic HID-Mouse driver.

Get the configuration utility AR1000 AR1100 Configuration Utility

1. Install the configuration utility.
2. Connect the AR1100 USB module to the touchscreen wire and the mini-B USB cable. Plug in the USB cable to the PC. Wait until it find and successfully installs the drivers. This may take 4-5 minutes. If Windows does not acknowledge that a new USB device has been plugged in, then you may have a power-only USB cable. If the module is working, then there will be a slow steady red LED flashing. Touch on the touchscreen and there should be a rapid flashing of the LED as long as you are touching the screen.
3. Run the Microchip utility.
4. Click on Configuration Wizard, Custom Setup, 4 or 5 wire, AR1100 (USB, Serial), USB and then HID-Generic, and then it will attempt to verify communications. This is where it fails if .NET 2.0 is not installed. If successful, then do more next's and finish.
5. Then Begin Calibration. This will only work when HID-Generic is selected. Close the utility.
6. Verify that the touch is actually working and calibrated correctly.
7. If wanting to use this with an android stick PC, you will need to run the config utility again in wizard mode. This time at the USB prompt, select Digitizer, and then continue until finish. When updated in Digitizer mode, the touch will not work on a Windows PC and don't know about a RPI.

The LCD touchscreen that I am using on the android PC is 1280x800 or 16:10. I did the calibration on a VGA monitor with the resolution of 1280x800. The HDMI output of the android PC can be either 720P or 1080P, but I don't know at this time what the exact resolution is. Guessing that it is a 16:9 ratio though. This is causing the touch to be barely off and unable to touch on the navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen. The pull-down from the notification bar works fine.

Will try later a calibration on the XP machine with a VGA monitor using 1366x768 (16:9). Hopefully that will scale the touch properly to match the display.

Just wanted to post this now while it was fresh on my mind. If I figure out how to get .NET 3.5/2.0 installed on my Windows 7 PC, I will add it to this thread. Would imagine that not a whole lot of people have a working XP PC in 2016.

Update 1/9/2015 : Re-calibrated the AR1100 module using a 1360x768 (16:9) resolution on the XP PC. The 1366x768 caused the LCD to flash on and off for some unknown reason. The VGA display from the PC was connected to the VGA connection on the lcd converter to calibrate. Because text and buttons at that resolution are so small on a 7" screen, I logged into the XP PC using VNC from another PC to do everything except the actual calibration. It now matches perfectly when hooked up to the Probox2 which outputs via HDMI to the lcd converter.

Recommend on the android device to enable Developer Options, and then under Input, enable Show Touches.

My setup for my carputer is very similar to PID 2395 except that I am connected to a Probox2 android PC rather the shown RPI. And one must be able to re-calibrate the USB touch module to the 16:9 resolution and enable the Digitizer mode. A 7" LCD is perfect to fit in a double-din radio space if willing to give up the radio. My touchscreen is going to be mounted magnetically so that it can be moved around easily.

Really recommend the PID 1580 if you have access to a XP PC to calibrate as needed. Smaller than the other USB touch converters and works with an Android stick PC. Connected the touchscreen cable to my MotoX via a OTG cable and it acted as a touchpad and not a touchscreen.

Next project is to figure out how to rotate the HDMI output from my android PC to portrait mode.
Last edited by Haptown on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Thanks for the update!

8bitdan

Post by 8bitdan »

Lots of updates to give you from playing around I'll do so in the morning

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”