Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongle

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BOP

Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongle

Post by BOP »

Hi,

I just purchased two Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongles from Adafruit. It says it's "plug & play" and works with laptop, smartphones, pdas, networking, dial-up, fax, LAN access, and headset.

I would like to use this with my Alpine car stereo. I plugged in the Dongle in the Front USB and get a DEV ERROR (I assume Device Error) on the display of my radio. My iPhone doesn't pick up the Dongle either. My radio is supposedly "bluetooth ready."

The dongle came with a micro CD. I have no idea what it is for. Do I need to install drivers somewhere/somehow? But how would I do this for radio (or headset as displayed on the box)? Perhaps I misunderstood the description of the device and it's only to send info to a bluetooth device but it cannot receive information? It does say though "receive/sending range 20-30 m" on the box, it should do both.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongle

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Plug & Play means that computers already have drivers installed for it. You car stereo is a dedicated embedded device which is not going to have a full set of drivers pre-installed on it. At best, it will be able to recognize an MP3 player, but that's probably about it. There will be no way for you to install drivers onto the radio.

If you are unable to use the dongles, I can offer you a refund. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund

BOP

Re: Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongle

Post by BOP »

Thank you for your fast reply and help. I will ask for a refund then. Thanks again! -- B

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”