using prototype pi board and ultimate gps on raspberry pi

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mighty69

using prototype pi board and ultimate gps on raspberry pi

Post by mighty69 »

hello,
I've recently undertaken a project to create an ROV using a raspberry pi and python. i have very little experience with either and was given the project after it was initially set-up. what i do know is that the raspberry pi has the prototype pi board on it, and the ultimate gps is attached and soldered to said board. as well, the gpsd has been installed. when i initially got all the hardware, my gps would time out; i assume because i'm indoors, however, now when i run the gpsd command in the terminal my error message reads "can't run with neither control socket nor devices" i have not changed any of the hardware set up. what am i doing wrong?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: using prototype pi board and ultimate gps on raspberry p

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Did it ever work, do you know?

mighty69

Post by mighty69 »

Yes, it did work. My predecessor was able to get a reading in his office. He told me that the issue was in activating the ports? Something to do with the UART connection. I have read through the Adafruit tutorial about setting up the assembly accordingly and now my RPi won't fully boot. From what I can tell the error has to do with the root fs not being able to mount onto a block. This then returns a kernel panic. To the best of my knowledge, all I did was change the cmdline.txt as per the tutorial instructions.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That sounds more like an issue with the linux system than anything related to gpsd. Have you tried un-doing whatever changes you made?

mighty69

Post by mighty69 »

Upon entering safemode, I copied and pasted the cmdline.txt to what the tutorial states is the initial condition.

mighty69

Post by mighty69 »

Sorry to leave out the conclusion:
I completed said corrections prior to posting my first reply. Current condition is as listed: black screen upon start up with white text reading many lines culminating in kernel error.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like your cmdline.txt file is corrupted and the boot system doesn't know where to find the default filesystem.

Try loading a fresh copy of the OS onto another SD card and copying the cmdline.txt from that to your existing card. That should at least get the RasPi booting again. Once that's fixed, we can go back to making gpsd work.

mighty69

Post by mighty69 »

fixed the bug. now i'm trying to write the program found in the adafruit tutorial section marked "using your gps." I've written the program using leafpad and receive a 10 line response ending with "socket.error: [Errno 97] Address family not supported by protocol"

perhaps my whitespace usage is incorrect or another issue?

mighty69

Post by mighty69 »

when i change the white space to be EXACTLY as it appears in the tutorial, i receive a syntax error for line 15 of the code. this line reads "except KeyError:" seems as if the syntax errer occurs after "except"

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”