Controlling alot of camera modules

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ElJosh

Controlling alot of camera modules

Post by ElJosh »

Hello,
I'm new to microcontrollers and such, and had an idea for 360 camera setup, and would like to have one thing, control the cameras. The cameras wont be doing video, just one picture after another. Like it would start with camera one and go down the line of cameras, then stop. I was thinking that one thing, something like a Arduino uno or a raspberry pi, would send a pulse down the line, and each would take a picture and send it back. I was also planing on using camera modules, since I can get bulk orders on the cheap.
What kind of controller would one suggest for something like this? So I can start to look into it and research it.
Thanks

ElJosh

Re: Controlling alot of camera modules

Post by ElJosh »

So been reading some stuff, and I read that I can do a bunch of camera on the pi with usb, since they will only be doing snapshots, and not video. But then I will have to figure how to connect the cameras to the usb, or string a bunch of webcams together. Can you just run a bit hub off the pi? Im thinking about 25 ish cameras for the 360 shots.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you just run a bit hub off the pi?
If you meant big hub then, with the proper power supply for the hub, yes you can. when you have some idea of what type of cameras you want to use let the forum know in the General Projects forum.

ElJosh

Post by ElJosh »

Yea, I meant big. Sorry, to much reading about bits and such. But I'm going to start off with some cheaper cameras, and once I have more funds and get the idea and all or most of the wrinkles worked out Im going to try and move to something on the level of a gopro.
I'm trying to get in touch with some Chinese distributors.

I'll probably move it over there, after this post.
Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”