Raspberry Pi not booting/overheating

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TwistyCones

Raspberry Pi not booting/overheating

Post by TwistyCones »

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi board from this site and it seems
that it is prone to overheating and refuses to boot at all. I've checked many sources and I'm lead to believe that poly fuse f3 is not functioning properly. I've given it ample time to recycle in the case of a"blown" poly fuse but I don't believe that is the case. I've been trying any solutions I've been able to find for the last week and have had no success. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: Raspberry Pi not booting/overheating

Post by Franklin97355 »

What are you using for power and are any of the lights on?

rbates4

Post by rbates4 »

(I contacted support now I'm here.)
I purchased a Raspberry Pi B+ from adafruit monday July 14 2014. It does not boot up. I have about five Model B rev 2 models, all boot and function. Using the same SD images (RasBMC, RetroPie, Rasbian on micro SD card), same power supply (5+ and 1.1amps) and HDMI monitor, my B+ does not boot or show any sign of response other than power is connected. I get a power indicator from the red LED and the active light (Green LED) will illuminate for ~1 sec when power is connected (with the SD card inserted), but no other response comes from the B+. I tried different insertions positions for the microSD card, different images (XBMC, the July 2014 Rasbian and so on.) While the exact same setup works on all my B models, the B+ model I ordered seems DOA.

Any help or getting the "OK" for a exchange would be appreciated.
As a last note, the B+ was shipped in a small shredded-paper-padded mailer, and had evidence it was crushed during shipping (note the RPi branded box). I have no concrete evidence it was killed during shipping, but I do feel this shipping method is inadequate. Thanks!
Attachments
shipment
shipment
photo 2.JPG (115.14 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (122.87 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The fact that the green LED blinks on then off is a sign that there may be some trouble with the SD card.

For the sake of confirmation, try doing a low-level format on your card with the SD Association's official tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ The B+ is a complete redesign, so it's possible that the firmware might be pickier about the card interface.

Also, again to be sure we've tested the known good configuration, run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
on a fresh install of the OS. If the device still doesn't boot after that we'll swap the one you have for a new one.

rbates4

Post by rbates4 »

That did it! It boots now and is fully operational. Thanks!

coconutcreampi

Post by coconutcreampi »

I also purchased a Raspberry Pi B+ from adafruit. I received mine today. I experienced the same issues rbates4 described with a freshly formated MicroSD card. I used the latest version of Raspbian which at the time of this post is: Debian Wheezy, Version: June 2014, Release date: 2014-06-20. Like rbates4, I have a handful of Model B rev 2 models. All of my Pis are powered by the 5V 1A power supply sold by adafruit.

To remedy the problem, I booted the aforementioned freshly formatted MicroSD card (using an adaptor) on a Raspberry Pi B rev 2, ran

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade && sudo rpi-update && sudo reboot
and after confirming the B rev 2 still booted, I re-inserted the MicroSD card into the B+, added some electricity, and the B+ booted successfully!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”