Raspberry Pi HDMI only detects on some devices

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wilsonus

Raspberry Pi HDMI only detects on some devices

Post by Wilsonus »

I have a Raspberry Pi that I thought was completely defective but it's not. There is something not working right though and is at least partially defective. I don't know what to think and I really frustrated with it because it took me a few days to figure out the pattern.

When I plug it into certain devices like a LG TV, HP monitor or small 3rd party monitor it fails to use the HDMI output 10 out of 10 times.

I have a total of 4 Raspberry Pi's I purchased from Adafruit. If I hook up any of the other 3 Pi's with the exact same power (Adafruit power plug), exact same HDMI cable, exact same SD card (Sandisk Extreme) to the exact same device it works perfectly 10 out of 10 times.

Here's the weird thing. I have an LG Monitor that I can hook the defective unit up to and it boots to the HDMI 10 out of 10 times. I have another small older HP monitor and it boots up 10 out of 10 times.

It seems certain devices it fails 100% of the time and other devices it boots 100% of the time. I think there's something wrong with the Pi and would like to exchange it if possible.

I've tried different power supplies, different HDMI cables and a different SD card but it seems to fail or boot based on what it's plugged into and not the peripherals. I also always make sure the HDMI device is turned on before powering up the Pi. Can something not be working right with the HDMI detection process or something?

If this is not the correct forum I can re post it that would help.

Regards,
Chad.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI only detects on some devices

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Raspberry Pi

Wilsonus

Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI only detects on some devices

Post by Wilsonus »

Thanks Rick for the quick reply! I have sent email and awaiting a reply. Have a great afternoon.

Regards,
Chad.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”