Digital rgb strip

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cruiser

Digital rgb strip

Post by cruiser »

Hi

I have a project, where i hope your products can help me.
At my house im looking for a light system that can light up my Outdoor glass railing.
I`m looking for a programmable outdoor rgb led strip system, i saw and have read about the digital rgb led strip (LPD8806).
I think this is what i`m looking for.
I`ve added a file with a level drawing of my house, and marked a line with a red penn where the strip is going.
I need 32 meters.

Some questions.

Power: It says on the web page that power supply is needed every meter. Can i use a bigger transformer (5v 70amp) and
supply 32 meter (1024 leds, 32m*32led/m). Or can i use 5v 10 amp every 5m?

Programming: Is it programmable for different settings (dimmed white light or colour light, fading between colors whole strip
and waves of colour round) and can these settings be controlled with an iphone app or a wireless remote? or
only with a computer?
The rest of the lighting in my house is controlled with iphone, so that would be nice.

Wiring: Is it sufficient with only one CI and one Di connection for the whole strip (1024 leds)?

Buy: What do i need to buy from you to make this work?
I`m open for recommendations.

Hope you understand what im requesting and can help me.

Thanks
Per Kristian
Norway
Attachments
Level Drawing
Level Drawing
CCI07082014_00001.jpg (533.58 KiB) Viewed 280 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Digital rgb strip

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Power: It says on the web page that power supply is needed every meter. Can i use a bigger transformer (5v 70amp) and
supply 32 meter (1024 leds, 32m*32led/m). Or can i use 5v 10 amp every 5m?
A single power supply is possible. But 70A is a lot of power to have in one place and you will need to design your power distribution wiring accordingly. With multiple smaller supplies, it is easier to segment your power distribution. In any case, we recommend that you review your power distribution plans with a qualified electrician familiar with your local wiring codes.
Programming: Is it programmable for different settings (dimmed white light or colour light, fading between colors whole strip
and waves of colour round) and can these settings be controlled with an iphone app or a wireless remote? or
only with a computer?
The rest of the lighting in my house is controlled with iphone, so that would be nice.
Each pixel is individually controllable, so you can implement whatever patterns you like. Our example software demonstrates some basic patterns ranging from color-wipes, rainbows, fading and chasing.

Typically we use a microcontroller such as an Arduino or Raspberry Pi for control of the strip. We have libraries and sample code for that.

The Arduino can be interfaced to a computer or phone using serial, Ethernet, Bluetooth or WiFi. Although we do have tutorials for these basic communication methods, we do not have any specifically designed for a lighting application such as you are proposing. Some custom software design and programming would be required.
Wiring: Is it sufficient with only one CI and one Di connection for the whole strip (1024 leds)?
Yes. One pair of wires will control the entire strip. You will need a processor with sufficient memory for 1024 pixels. An Arduino Mega or Due or a Raspberry Pi would be sufficient.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”