Need advice on adding bluetooth to an existing ciruit

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CurtRiley

Need advice on adding bluetooth to an existing ciruit

Post by CurtRiley »

I have a device that is a collection of simple circuits that each have a light that turn on when when a given circuit is completed. There is no arduino or Rasp Pi or any other logic device in this circuit, and if possible, I'd like to keep it that way. All this being said, I'd like to add bluetooth send capability to the device. The device will never have any need to receive data, only send data. I'd like to do this, as a means of testing the circuit. The switches that turn on the various circuits is in a remote location about 15 - 20 feet from the device, so the device cannot be seen by the person that is activating the switches. For a single person to test the circuits, that person would have to engage one switch, walk 15 - 20 feet to see if the light came on, then walk back 15 - 20 to test the next circuit, and repeat the process until all circuits are tested. By adding bluetooth the device, to send data to my phone, I could then engage one circuit and check the app (that I would build) on my phone, to see an indication that the light is on. Then disengage the circuit and test the next.

Here's my problem, or problems.
1. I have minimal experience in creating circuits, as I am just beginning to learn about electronics.
2. All the bluetooth modules that I have found, seem to need a logic device, such as an arduino or rasp pi, to make them work.

So basically, what I'd like to ask the engineer is:
1. Is this possible without adding additional controllers (arduino or rasp pi)?
2. If it is, what would be a good bluetooth module to use?

I realize this is probably crazy starting point for designing my first device, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention (-:

Franklin97355

Re: Need advice on adding bluetooth to an existing ciruit

Post by Franklin97355 »

You might be able to adapt this to suit your needs.

CurtRiley

Post by CurtRiley »

I'm going to take my device apart, and see if this can fit inside. Thanks for the pointer

CurtRiley

Post by CurtRiley »

It looks it'll be tight, but I think I can make it fit. Thanks again

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”