Car Media center

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jerryrudolph

Car Media center

Post by jerryrudolph »

Hello,

I would like to purchase the Raspberry Pi with the small touch screen attached so I can create an XBMC-PI media center in my car. (for the kids)

Can someone confirm that you can use and view the touch screen while projecting images out the rca video out to another small screen?

Ideally I would like to keep this unit in my center console of car and use touch screen to choose movie for my 3 year old boys in the back.

Is this project feasible? does anyone know if you have video output screen size choices?

Parts to be used:
Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB RAM
PRODUCT ID: 998

PiTFT - Assembled 320x240 2.8" TFT+Touchscreen for Raspberry Pi
PRODUCT ID: 1601

PiTFT Enclosure for Raspberry Pi Model B
PRODUCT ID: 1892

5V 1A (1000mA) USB port power supply - UL Listed
PRODUCT ID: 501

Also, Does anyone know if these run better with a class 10 sd card? I noticed that ada fruit offers class 4 cards.

Thanks for any help.

adafruit2

Re: Car Media center

Post by adafruit2 »

It's probably not likely because we dont have a version of XBMC with pitft support. technically, there's no reason it cant be done - the pi can have both pitft & composite up...but in reality, its going to be a bear.

jerryrudolph

Post by jerryrudolph »

I think you could sell many of these based on how many cars have tvs in them. Can you develop?

johnclord

Post by johnclord »

I also want to use XBMC (which is now KODI) with Raspberry Pi. I have the resistive PiTFT product ID 1601 ( https://www.adafruit.com/products/1601 )
and I've successfully completed the MPC radio on PiTFT by following these instructions:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... n/overview

I was HOPING to run XBMC on the same hardware WITH touchscreen res which is titled: "SOLVED - XBMC to use TFT as a primary monitor" and is using the PiTFT model 1601 (resistive touch) as its display. Sadly, the post also says:
"Hi managed to eventually get XBMC working with TFT. Hopefully someone will figure out how to get the touchscreen to work with XBMC
Question I have is about shutting it down.
I have programmed a button to run Adafruits shutdown script which does turn the Pi off, but the TFT remembers what it last displayed.
I tried killing fbtft before it powers down, but that does not seem to do much."

I would suggest programming TWO of the buttons, one with a command to exit XBMC, then use the other button to issue the shutdown command.
Or maybe someone knows what to program the button with to make it tell XBMC to "Power off" which I expect should shut down the display first.

At any rate, it ALSO looks like someone needs to figure out how to configure XBMC (which is now KODI) to recognize the touchscreen as the input device. Perhaps if the right drivers are already in place, maybe a user could use SSH or a mouse & keyboard temporarily to edit the KODI configuration files to set it to use the touchscreen as the input device and save that configuration. Then the KODI/XBMC screen menus could be used to power down the device and that would eliminate the need to figure out programming the buttons. Post here if anyone figures out how to get KODI/XBMC recognizing the PiTFT model 1601 touchscreen for input.

johnclord

Post by johnclord »

This link might help with getting Kodi to work with the touch screens:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Touch_controls

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”