SOIL TEMPERATURE/MOISTURE SENSOR

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mpanasco

SOIL TEMPERATURE/MOISTURE SENSOR

Post by mpanasco »

Hi, we have an inquiry about the item ID1298, that is the Soil Temperature/Moisture Sensor. The problem is that we are using it in a field and it happens us twice that it gets full of water. Where is that water entering from? Is there any sensor that doesn’t happen this? Thanks!

Franklin97355

Re: SOIL TEMPERATURE/MOISTURE SENSOR

Post by Franklin97355 »

How are you placing them (what type of environment) are they submerged for any period of time and what are you using them to measure? There are submersible sensors but most of those only measure the presence or absence of water.

mpanasco

Post by mpanasco »

They are buried in the ground, all the time, because they are being used to meassuring temperature and moisture of the ground all the time (not for a particular event). Maybe there is any other that is better for this kind of projects.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Google for "soil moisture sensor" to find other options like this. I don't know your application but there should be something that will work for you.

ZRandal

Post by ZRandal »

mpanasco wrote:Is there any sensor that doesn’t happen this? Thanks!
Hi mpanasco, as far as a sensor that doesn't fill up with water, I use this soil moisture sensor. It is fully insulated, and for the 3 years that I have had it, I really haven't had that many problems. It hasn't corroded at all and is salinity has no negative effect on it. If you're looking for a different type of sensor, you might want to try a tensiometer, but these can be more expensive than your basic soil moisture sensor... Hope this helps!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”