using arduino as ADC for medical research

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
texprehospital

using arduino as ADC for medical research

Post by texprehospital »

Hello everybody, I need some help figuring out how to attack a problem I have. I'm a medical student doing some self-funded research and I need a cheap data acquisition system. I need to be able to record blood flow in voltages from 0 - 1V, I'm thinking 12 bit would work, I'm a bit worried 10 bit might not be enough. I also need to be able to record 6 more channels at 0-10V. 240hz should be plenty for my sample speed. If you're interested the equipment I'm reading from is the Transonic T206, the GE TramRac4a and the Edwards Vigilance CO computer. I know just enough about this stuff to get myself in trouble so my question for y'all is to be able log this many channels will I need multiple arduino's? Should I go with a Rasberry Pi? I've seen the 12 bit ADC board on here, will that do 2 or 4 of my channels? Thanks for the help everyone.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: using arduino as ADC for medical research

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The ADS1015 can measure 4 single-ended or 2 differential mode channels. In single ended mode, you only get 11 bits of resolution. Differential is a little trickier to set up.
Given your requirements and number of channels, I think the ADS1115 is a better choice. It will do 4 channels of single-ended measurement at 15 bits. And you can have up to 4 boards on the i2c bus for a total of 16 channels. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1085

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”