RBG LED TAPE QUESTION

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hovski

RBG LED TAPE QUESTION

Post by Hovski »

Hello, and I apologize if there is a thread already similar to this (I honestly couldn't find it).

So I've been designing cosplay items for the past 2 years and my better half decided to pick something with lighting. My response was, "What the hell, Lets do it!" Let me state that I know nothing about LED Tape or LED's in general. I do know a tad bit about soldering and I understand a small bit of wiring. I'm usually someone that picks things up rather quickly and learns things rather rapidly. That being said, I've already designed the piece that needs the lighting - specifically with lights in mind.

IE - Small drill holes in set areas to put the wires through and cover up once installed. Areas within the item to hide the battery holders, etc. You know, all that jazz that hides the ugliness.

Here's my problem:

I've looked everywhere (Youtube, the Learn section on this site, as well as other LED sellers, Blogs, Google references, etc.) and it seems everything seems more confusing than it probably is. I've decided on two routes... Either Route 1: LED Tape. Route 2: Individual LED Bulbs (this one seems less confusing than the RBG Tape). Here's the facts about my projects: I don't need my lights to ever flash or do anything fancy. I just need the tape to turn on and turn off. Pretty simple. I also don't need any colors to change or have multiple colors. I simply just need Aqua/Cyan all the way through. Sounds simple, right? That's what I thought. However, every video I've seen has a box or microchip (not sure what you'd call these things) where you set it up. I can't for the life of me understand the tutorials or even in the Learn department (believe me I've tried maybe my brains a bag of peas at this point who knows)... Can anyone explain to me how this would be done without having to spend 39 dollars on the Wheel remote that probably won't fit within my costume?

Also, if that route is literally too complicating. If I wanted to go with Route 2 and I set up all the lights individually (I would need 42 lights in Total.. - I've mathed it out already). Would I need a bigger pack (The 8xAA Battery Holder w/Switch) vs. the 3xAAA Pack used in the recipe in the learning area? **Please note, I do realize I will need the 68 OHM Resisters**

Any help would be thoroughly appreciated... seriously. Thank you kindly!

Disciple

Re: RBG LED TAPE QUESTION

Post by Disciple »

I'm not an engineer, but someone's similar question led to Wire Light LED Strands. They have blue and green strands. Maybe they're close enough to your color? If not, you might opt for the cool white strand and add bits of cyan color filter. Either way, three or four of these are hard to beat for low cost and no programming required. Just a thought.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You don't say how many LEDs you want but if you get these (you can get them smaller if you need that) you should be able to turn them on and off with a switch, no processor needed. Let us know how many you are going to use and we can help you get started. Here are quite a few ways to do it without a microcontroller

Hovski

Post by Hovski »

I didn't expect anyone to reply so quickly. Thank you guys so much, this is great.

Originally, I was going to use EL Wire + EL Paneling for the gauntlet I've designed. Just so everyone can get a visual, my better half has decided to go as Debonair Ezreal from LoL. If anyone doesn't know who that is or doesn't play LoL, here is a link to the gauntlet I'm going to create out of Worbla and LED's: http://www.newsoflegends.com/wp-content ... lash_7.jpg

Alright. So originally I was going to use paneling and wires. That being said, I measured everything out using thick yard and I came up with 3 problems. 1. Because of how thick the gauntlet was and how I was feeding it through, I was always too short on EL wire to reach the wrap around feed through all the knuckles. 2. There was just so much wire wrapped into the arm and fingers, that it was way too chaotic to manage. 3. It just wouldn't "pop" in brightness if he had it turned on in the daylight. So, that being said I decided to swap to LED lights, which is where my problems begun.

With the redesign for LED lights, I've made a ring for the top portion of the gauntlet and I drilled holes in a loop pattern on the bottom plate. (I'll have to show you scans of my sketchbook so you get a better idea). Basically it looks like a flat plastic ring, with different rows of 8 lights in a circle. So, I've planned out have 2 lights from center to outer ring 8x. And to offcenter those lights inbetween I have 3 lights from center to outer ring 8x around. So in total, I have 38 lights in the large ring on top of his gauntlets... and I have 1 LED light going in 4 top knuckles and 2 going in that small side button on both sides.

Total LEDS: 38 For big ring
4 for 2 buttons on the sides
4 - 1 in each knuckle.
=46 LED Lights total

Now, I could do LED Strip lights or I could do LED Bulbs. I thought since I'm using so many lights I would need this to support the wiring: This is the Battery Pack I thought I might need from your site. https://www.adafruit.com/products/875 and I was looking at these for bulbs: https://www.adafruit.com/products/300

I noticed you linked the RBG Bulbs, but I don't quite understand how to solder them entirely compared to the positive and negatives. I know those would give me the "teal color I need" but, I'm pretty much a goner when it comes to anything in that department.

Anyway you guys could help would be fantastic (LED RBG Strip or Bulb method). Is the battery I linked too large for so many lights or not enough, if I went that route? And if I went the RBG LED Tape, is it possible to do it without some sort of microcontroller?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”