Dotstar striptest getting started

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
watsonjo

Dotstar striptest getting started

Post by watsonjo »

I am starting a project requiring around 500 RGB LEDs, ideally individually addressed or addressed in small groups. The finished product needs to be robust and work reliably.

I plan to use:
• addafruit Dotstar LED strips
To save on wiring and GPIO requirement
• Raspberry Pi 2 for controlling

I expect the final product will be controlled by Matlab via the pi has coordinated colour and intensity changes are needed, mean while I need to test the Pi and led strips and plan an alternate to Matlab. Any comments wellcome.

I bought the Pi and one 60 led per meter strip and sundries (logic level converter etc). Then started reading all the documentation I could. I am a dot net C++ programmer with no Linux Python experience.

I downloaded adafruit_dotstar_Pi-master.zip. I wish to run the strandtest python program. I have the following questions:
• It looks like I need to make the library. Do I?
• Do I have to install a python shared object? Where How?
• Are there any places where I can get a start on understanding this?

Franklin97355

Re: Dotstar striptest getting started

Post by Franklin97355 »

Since you are using the Raspberry Pi I would recommend you start at their site https://www.raspberrypi.org/ and check out the forums. To learn Python you can try one of these sites and check out our tutorial here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dot ... s/overview

watsonjo

Re: Dotstar striptest getting started

Post by watsonjo »

Tanks for the response I had read through most of them before asking. I keep searching

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”