A couple basic questions

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ecological3d

A couple basic questions

Post by Ecological3d »

1. Someone wired audio from the 3.5mm audio OUT port on the raspberry pi 2 b to the class D amplifier 2.8w unit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1712)
Is there anything preventing one from soldering the amplifier DIRECTLY to the audio on the raspberry pi board, to leave the 3.5mm jack open for use? (ie connecting to external audio device)

2. If I did wire it in that way, when I plug my 3.5mm audio device in, will the board direct the audio ONLY to the external device now, or will it send audio to the amplifier+speakers as well as to the 3.5mmjack+external device at the same time?

3. What if I used the original wiring method (attach the amplifier via the 3.5mm audio jack) - can I splice into the audio line with a female audio jack to plug an external device into? what happens when I plug the device in? does it play in unison with the speakers, or does it play by itself only?

4. Can I wire a tactile switch to the raspberry pi and give it a value of "volume up", and "volume down"? what about a tactile switch that says "brightness up" and :"brightness down" on an attached LCD screen?

5. Can I plug a USB to HDMI cable into the usb port of the Pi and plug it into an HDMI device? I ask because the HDMI port will be used already by a screen, but would like to sometimes attach to an external screen as well as the external audio

thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Re: A couple basic questions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1. yes - with careful soldering
2. the signal would go to both.
3. You can by an off-the-shelf splitter cable, or make your own. If needed, you could also build a selector switch into it to direct output one way or another.
4. Not easily. There is some discussion about that here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=106944

Ecological3d

Re: A couple basic questions

Post by Ecological3d »

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”