Adalight with Lightpack

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mlte

Re: Adalight with Lightpack

Post by mlte »

Any way to make it grab from the second or third screen? it works fine on the primary screen but refuses to grab anything from the second or third screen.
Edit: Nevermind I managed it , still one of the Led's stays off even though it lights just fine if I check "avg color on all leds"

completenoob

Post by completenoob »

I'm hoping someone can help this complete noob. I've been researching all day but I feel like I am stuck with these few remaining questions. As far as wiring goes, I can handle that.
Where I am stuck is the firmware and software portion of this contraption.

So, I have it all hooked up to the PC, but...now what? I want to use lightpack software to control the lighting. Do I simply run the program with everything connected and it is good to go from there? Do I need to upload the firmware? If so, do I upload the lightpack firmware from their site, or the ADAlight firmware? How do I send it?

I feel lost. :(

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Hey there,

I would really suggest starting with the stock Adalight software. If you can get that working, then maybe look into pursuing other options as a later step. Some of these other programs are really cool, but since we didn't write them, we don't know what's under the hood and can't offer support. Some I've never managed to get working myself.

So! To that end, I'd suggest downloading the Adalight ZIP file from the Github repository here. Upload the LEDstream firmware to your Arduino, and on the PC run the Adalight software (using Processing, can be downloaded from processing.org).

If you can get that working, then you know the wiring and communication is all good. Of the 'alternative' software options, I've found Lightpack to be easiest...It has a nice GUI, and you can just keep the same LEDstream firmware on the Arduino.

completenoob

Post by completenoob »

Hello Pburgess,

Thank you for the very detailed and concise reply. I went ahead and purchased both the "project pack" and the arduino uno board that was recommended on that page. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival and have already sourced a nice black piece of vinyl I can attach to the back of my VESA points, hopefully securing this device and its wires neatly.

So if I get this correctly. Setup all hardware, then upload the LEDstream.pde to the arduino using the arduino software from their website. Then run the processing software (basically your version of lightpack.exe) using the processing.org software.

I will follow your recommendations and will do as much research as I can before I tackle this.

Thanks again for your help thus far. I'm eagerly awaiting my package!

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Yep! That's the procedure. Please let us know if you encounter any difficulties, or if there's any part of the directions you feel could be improved. Thanks!

completenoob

Post by completenoob »

Ok. So I have everything up and running beautifully in lightpack. I tried running the processing code except right was left and left was right. I saw the "flipping adalight" forum post after searching however after attemping to do the edit of the script myself, it stopped working and gave me errors. I tried a few more times but just couldn't do it so I gave up on that.

Lightpack worked without a hitch and seems to be great. HOWEVER, for some reason I cannot get any light output when playing TF2 or BF3. Other games such as LoL and shoot many robots are working fine, but TF2/BF3 does not output. I know this isn't a lightpack support forum but I thought I'd ask incase anyone had any idea.

I attempted to go into expert mode and tried "QT fullscreen" and "WinAPI fullscreen" and "D3D9" capture sources to no avail.

dagthomas

Post by dagthomas »

Anyone with Lightpack getting small flashes of blue once in a while - and know a remedy for this? Just made a 50 strand adalight, and having troubles with blue flashes once in a while.

dagthomas

Post by dagthomas »

Seams to work well when I run the games at fullscreen windowed. Probably some d3d issues in fullscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7qWIV6DFY

Sorry for norwegian narrating again :) testing on local d3 beta

dagthomas

Post by dagthomas »

If you get some new orders in, it might be due to this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/BANNED/comments ... ng_for_d3/

:)

spkywt

Post by spkywt »

If you get some new orders in, it might be due to this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/BANNED/comments ... ng_for_d3/

:)
Just ordered mine because of this! :twisted:

xpsg

Post by xpsg »

Hi guys! I've just gotten my Adalight up and running (27" monitor w/ 50 leds) and I wonder if there are any methods out there to calibrate the LED colors. Manually editing the color coefs seems very tedious :oops:

Kleivis

Post by Kleivis »

I got this to work but i have one problem. While watching a movie everything works fine, but if there is a constant color on the screen the lights will turn themselves off. If I leave the computer for a min without any movement on the screen they will stop working.. How can i prevent this?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Turn on "Expert mode", this enables the developer tab. Go there and uncheck the "Send data only if colors changes" box. This keeps a steady stream of data going to the Arduino, so it won't put the LEDs to sleep.

swissarmy

Post by swissarmy »

I just let you guys know that Lightpack crew accepted to support 100 channels for adalight in their new updated software which will be available (hopefully) soon!

swissarmy

Post by swissarmy »

original link - Comment 11, there is a DOWNLOAD!
http://code.google.com/p/lightpack/issu ... rt=&id=216

alternative link - my private server, don't worry, no viruses!
http://212.106.167.10:8080/lightpack/li ... _5.9.0.zip

It's ver. 5.9.0 of LIGHTPACK SOFTWARE for Windows which supports 100 (or even more?) channels with adalight, nothing more was updated.
If somebody has 100 or more leds please check whether it works fine or not and let us know!

Thanks
Last edited by swissarmy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”