Strips do not work received?

by eeenozeee on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi, I just got two strips of LED ws2801, when connected to the transformer, red to positive and negative blue, yellow green to 11 to 13, (I have an arduino board) arduino gnr blue, all starting with the part of square black chip is supposed to be the entrance. strips do nothing either strips. you LEDstream.pde loaded. I have proven all possible combinations of yellow and green from 11 to 13 green or yellow 2 yellow 3 green. I never changed the power cords have always been negative blue red positive, blue gnr arduino board. is there any way of knowing if the strips fail. connect instead of one that had ldp6803 in 13 green and 11 yellow and if it works, do not go well the color cycle but it works and move the colors on the strip
eeenozeee

Re: Strips do not work received?

by pburgess on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey there.

If you're using the default, unmodified 'strandtest' sketch, then yellow->2 and green->3 should be correct (entering the "chip side" of the first LED, as you have it). Sounds like all your wiring is correct.

Occasionally bad strands do happen, but two in the same batch seems extremely unlikely. I'm more inclined to think it's either the power adapter, or just possibly the polarity of the adapter jack. Let's try the following:

- Disconnect the USB cable from the Arduino, and plug the power adapter into the jack on the Arduino. Does the Arduino's power light come on? If so, the power adapter is OK. If not, probably a bad adapter.

- Try connecting the red (+5v) wire from the LED strand to the 5V hole on the Arduino, and blue to the ground hole. Then power the Arduino either from USB or the adapter. (Yes, both the Arduino and LEDs will be a bit starved for power in this configuration, but it's OK for a quick test.) If this works, the LEDs and wiring are good. If not, the problem is most likely in the DC jack adapter (wrong polarity, bad connection, or defective jack), or the connection between Arduino and LEDs (defective plug or dodgy connection...give it the 'wiggle test' and see if that helps).

If it's not a bother, can you post a pic of your wiring, just to be sure? Also, do you have a multimeter or other way of testing the continuity of the wires?
pburgess

by eeenozeee on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 am

Hi, I followed his instructions, I have two power supplies, a 5v 2a 5v 3a another. I have connected directly to the arduino without the usb and turn, I even connected an LED strip that I have ldo6803 and it works, but does not do well the color sequence that reacts and lights and the LED changes color. had used it before and change the data pin, the original is 2 yellow 3 green, 11 yellow 13 I Use Green (by the change in the arduino ide and uploading to the plate). strips sent to me does not react with any of the sources I used. to connect 5v red blue earth do nothing, connect green 11 yellow 13 and not react, what most surprises me is that being so like I said, remove the strip, which I had put some time the ldp6803 and starts, without touching anything, just changing it and connecting it all as was the other, I think the problem is one of the strips, it is difficult who are both broken, but I think it happened to me.
eeenozeee

by pburgess on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am

This will be easiest to debug if everything is installed in the same configuration as the tutorial. Please don't change pins around yet, this will only confuse the issue.

Red to 5V on Arduino, yellow to pin 2, green to pin 3, blue to Arduino GND, and the original unmodified strandtest.pde sketch that's included with the Adafruit-WS2801-Library. Lines 30-31 should be this, unchanged from the original:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
int dataPin  = 2;    // Yellow wire on Adafruit Pixels
int clockPin = 3;    // Green wire on Adafruit Pixels
pburgess

by eeenozeee on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm

hi, thanks for your prompt reply, seeing that I've worked in any way has become download the original sketch, without doing anything, 5v red, blue gnr., yellow to pin 2, pin 3 green, and blue gnr arduino board, I loaded the sketch Adafruit-WS2801-Library, if you change anything, has been successfully verified and uploaded to the Arduino board without any problem, I regret to say that none of the two strips has been not a little light, I have not confused the entrance to the strip I have considered the end where the black chip, and also had before used the arduino with lED strip is strip lpd6803 and I have not had any problems and I have been work quickly, I'm sure it's a problem of the strips. the truth is that I'm disappointing a lot with this, and I'm happy with your service and attention, besides the fast that I have come here to Spain sending, but this has me tired, I have proven with 3 power supplies different, all at 5v and 2, but nothing at all, none of the strips have answered even a little, thanks for your attention.
eeenozeee

by adafruit on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Can you post a clear photo showing your wiring? It is unusual that two don't work, and it might be easy to fix
adafruit

by eeenozeee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:15 am

hello, I put the photos here. bodeto loaded adalight strandtest
Arduino USB cable, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red 5v arduinoImage

arduino wired the power supply, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red 5v arduinoImage

the power supplyImage

Arduino USB cable, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red to positive 5V power adapter, blue negative adapterImageImage

do nothing either strips.
Now put a strip that I used lpd6803 another sketch, using the same old thing, only replace the strip, do not change anything, just connecting it to the power supply turn on

Now connect 2 white (yellow in the other strip), 3 green, blue gnr. and the strip and reacts change color LEDsImage
eeenozeee

by adafruit on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:26 am

160x120 pictures are too small to see, can you post 640x480 size?
adafruit

by eeenozeee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 am

hello, I put the photos here. bodeto loaded adalight strandtest
Arduino USB cable, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red 5v arduino
arduino wired the power supply, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red 5v arduino
the power supply
Arduino USB cable, yellow 2, green 3, gnr blue, red to positive 5V power adapter, blue negative adapter
do nothing either strips.
Now put a strip that I used lpd6803 another sketch, using the same old thing, only replace the strip, do not change anything, just connecting it to the power supply turn on

Now connect 2 white (yellow in the other strip), 3 green, blue gnr. and the strip and reacts change color LEDs

eeenozeee

by adafruit on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 am

eeenozeee wrote:hello, I put the photos here.

hmm, before we start -- that appears to be a counterfeit arduino. the top left says "made in italy" on a real arduino. there seems to be a couple other things that look off - where did you purchase that arduino from?

whoever sold it to you is selling counterfeit arduinos - they are using the logo, name and TM trademark on the board :( we think you were tricked and were sold something bad.

thanks,
adafruit support
adafruit

by eeenozeee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

and that is all I have sold a false arduino with the strips do not react to anything. telling me that if the board would look out arudino original if, then the work I had and not theirs, if not loaded the sketches he would understand, but the sketches are perfectly up to the plate and when you insert by first time the false arduino (like you tells me) that I recognized him perfectly as the PC and arduino driver is installed perfectly. is that as the original buy an Arduino and I run the strips, we will remain where it only did I spend more money. so what if I buy an original arduino you and I still do not work, what will the procedure for you?.
eeenozeee

by adafruit on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

where you purchased the counterfeit arduino, do you have a link url?

thanks,
adafruit support
adafruit

by eeenozeee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 am

thanks for your quick response..buy it here.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/170734704039?ssP ... 4850wt_820

so if you can gimme the link to aduino that would need to make the purchase.and the power supply I need for 50 LED
eeenozeee

by adafruit on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

eeenozeee wrote:thanks for your quick response..

can you do us a favor (and the arduino community and tell the seller not sell counterfeit arduinos? you were ripped off and tricked, you should note that on the ebay feedback.

for the strips *you did* purchase from us, try this... the pixels use the WS2801 library, are you using that library?"

we will not be able to guess if the arduino will work well, most of the counterfeit ones are cheap and crappy.

thanks,
adafruit support, phil
adafruit

by eeenozeee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 pm

hello, if you buy from you the arduino, and the strips that you buy are still not working. Am I the you will change?
eeenozeee