A 4 foot by 8 foot LED wall

by gregf on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi,
I thought this project would be of interest to people other than just me as an example of something you can build with LEDs and microcontrollers. I recently built a 4 foot by 8 foot music-responsive LED wall with 544 WS2801 pixels. The LEDs are controlled by a ChipKit Uno32 which is controlled by a Processing sketch and the system can be interacted with via an iPad.

http://gregfr.tumblr.com/post/254157799 ... -by-8-foot

Look forward to any feedback.

Greg
gregf

Re: A 4 foot by 8 foot LED wall

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 am

Oh wow, man! Psychedelic!

I stand in awe. What a fabulous project! I want one.

Care to share any implementation details?
adafruit_support_rick

by john444 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:38 pm

GregF,

Wow.
Post some details. I want to know how you did it!
There are a lot of things going on that are difficult to accomplish.
John
john444

by anstone on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Beautiful! Care to share any info on the sketch and connecting processing to touchOSC? Awesome work!
anstone

by domorethanyoucan on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Well done. What kind of refresh rates are you achieving? Are you using just a single quasi-spi line out of the arduino? Also, good call on the 5v pixels, the bigger ones wind up a bit too bright for in-home wall displays.
domorethanyoucan

by gregf on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:45 am

Sorry, I forgot to link to it in the original post. There is a description of the build at: http://thecolorofthin.gs/post/254188895 ... a-led-wall
If there are questions about something I don't go into detail on, let me know.

@driverblock: Thanks! My intentions were to make it somewhat psychedlic and I'm glad that came through.

@anstone: I am planning to post code but havent' had time to clean it up well enough to put out there. Hopefully it will happen soon and I'll post an update here when I do. In the meantime, on the subject of touchOSC, it's quite easy actually using the Processing lib oscP5 from Andreas Schlegel. You do some dragging in the touchOSC editor to make the layout, then you write some simple string parsing code to interpret the OSC data parsed out by oscP5.

@domorethanyoucan: The refresh rate is about 45Hz. This is limited by the speed of Serial communication to the microcontroller. I'm not using an Arduino actually for that very reason, the Chipkit Uno32 that I ended up using supports serial communication up to 921600. Regarding brightness, it's just about the right brightness at night on full intensity but during the day it could be a little brighter. I actually had to crank down the brightness to 50% because otherwise the fan on the power supply turns out and it's annoyingly loud. I'm looking for a suitable power supply without this drawback if anyone has suggestions.
gregf