USE UPS NEXT DAY AIR FOR ANY USA ORDER BEFORE 11AM ET *TODAY* 12/19/2014 TO GET YOUR PACKAGE IN TIME FOR XMAS - PLEASE SEE OUR SHIPPING DEADLINE NOTICE FOR MORE DETAILS!

Can Arduino print a bmp file on 32x32 LED
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Can Arduino print a bmp file on 32x32 LED

by ttallos on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Is it possable to make an arduino print a bmp file on a 32x32 LED matrix if not how can this be done?
ttallos

Re: Can Arduino print a bmp file on 32x32 LED

by pburgess on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 am

Not directly from an SD card...there's not enough RAM nor enough I/O pins to both read an SD card and drive the 32x32 matrix (if we're talking about this item).

However, for small BMP files, it's possible to pre-convert an image into a format that can be stored in the Arduino's flash program space. This has some limitations though...each image requires about 1.5K of space, and there's less than 32K available on the Arduino Uno.

It might be a task better handled by a Propeller or other beefy microcontroller, but at present the example code is all Arduino-based.
pburgess

by RJeffway on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi, Got my 32x32 Matrix Display, and got it working great first time! Thanks for the excellent documentation! Is there a utility outhere that would allow me to convert a BMP or GIP to the hex format so I as you say "pre-convert" my image? My goal is to be able to create images to display on the 32x32 in an easy way with say Photoshop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
RJeffway

by darbyb on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi pburgess, thanks for the info.

I've also recieved my 32x32 display and have successfully got the example code working for me.

in you documentation there is mention of these functions:
draw/fillline
draw/fillcircle
draw/fillpixel
draw/fillrect
fill

Im wondering if there is any efficient line of code to allow me to assign each pixel in the grid a value, from bmp images I have pre-converted into a binary/hex grid (im happy to do the screwing around with my data to get it to fit your code of course)

This seems to be what is happening in the "plasma" example sketch, but as there is very little descriptive text in this example its hard to figure out what is going on

darbyb