Digital Addressable RGB LED only a few led light up

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
whartan

Digital Addressable RGB LED only a few led light up

Post by whartan »

I have the Digital Addressable RGB LED w/ PWM waterproof flexi strip (1 m) connected to a portable battery pack 8000 mAh, output is 5V 2.1 Amp. I have only wired the 5V and Ground. Is it normal for only a few LED to light up (6 of them scattered along the strip) I have tried both input end and output end, I cannot get all the led light to light up. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or the strip is bad.

tldr

Re: Digital Addressable RGB LED only a few led light up

Post by tldr »

any particular reason you haven't connected di and ci? really none of the leds should light up 'til you tell them to.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have only wired the 5V and Ground.
With no control signals wired, the leds will come up in a random state. You need to connect all the signals and run the code to test the strip.

whartan

Post by whartan »

Thanks for the reply, I connect the di to MOSI and ci to the SCLK on raspberry pi, based on the diagram from adafruit learning page, I connect it via GPIO cable for the ci on the 23rd wire and 19th for the di. I then ran the code for the lightpaint.py and also another code from https://github.com/trizz/PiLed/blob/master/rainbow.py. nothing happen to the LED only 6 led light up white color.

whartan

Post by whartan »

btw I was not certain if the di and ci need to be connected for all the led to light up, thanks for clarifying that. Also just wanted to point out that when I ran the code: sudo python "codename".py, there was no error and I uses the ctrl to exit once I did not see any changes. I also uses the portable battery mentioned earlier to power both. The recommended power source by adafruit for the Pi and 1 meter LED was one that can provide 5V 2Amp. I beleive the batter pack is enough for that. (please correct me if I am wrong)

whartan

Post by whartan »

I think I might have a bad LED strip. I manage to borrow an arduino uno from a friend and wired the strip accordingly. samething, the strandtest code does not do anything to the strip. I decided to move the data pin and clock pin further along the led strip precisely to the next ci and di, immediately the next 2 led started to react to the strandtest. I move it further to the following ci and di and this time about 6 led react to the strandtest. while the rest of the led in the strip is not responding. I will try to contact support for an exchange. Thanks for all your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, that sounds like you have some bad pixels there. Contact [email protected] and include a link to this thread.

whartan

Post by whartan »

Thank you for the confirmation and again for your help, much appreciated.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”