Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Defective LED strip
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Defective LED strip

by consulfirmin on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I recently bought the "Digital Addressable RGB LED w/ PWM waterproof flexi strip" (id 306). Once delivered I tested the strip (5 m reel). it worked as expected and I stashed it for later use. But now part of the strip is broken. About half way (approx LED no 80 and onward) will not light up.

I would like the broken strip replaced. What is your policy on broken parts?

Best Regards,
Pierre
consulfirmin

Re: Defective LED strip

by adafruit on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm

consulfirmin wrote:I recently bought the "Digital Addressable RGB LED w/ PWM waterproof flexi strip" (id 306). Once delivered I tested the strip (5 m reel). it worked as expected and I stashed it for later use. But now part of the strip is broken. About half way (approx LED no 80 and onward) will not light up.

I would like the broken strip replaced. What is your policy on broken parts?

It sounds like it was shipped to you in working condition - it is possible to fix it. check the broken area, do you see any cracks? The strip cannot be flexed or bent too much!

adafruit

by consulfirmin on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

Hi,

There are no obvious or visible cracks on the broken area. However, I noticed that sometimes a few LEDs (not all of them) after the broken part lights up partly with "random colors". I can not control these LEDs. At other times they are not lit up at all. The LEDs up to the 80th LED works as expected though.

Perhaps a leg on the driver chip is not connected properly? I can check it out but then I have to remove the plastic tube protecting the strip. I image it is hard to put the strip back in the plastic casing once removed though.

As a last resort I guess I can remove the broken part and fit the two remaining parts back together losing two LEDs in the process. It would look ugly though (the strip is supposed to be a present to a dear friend)

Best,
Pierre
consulfirmin

by pburgess on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

The 80th LED, you say? This might be an easy fix…

The LED strips are manufactured in half-meter segments (16 LEDs each) which are then soldered together to produce the 5-meter strips. Sounds like there might be a dodgy connection between the 5th and 6th segments (right after LED #80). Unfortunately this does mean cutting into the rubber covering. But if you press down against each of the four connections with the tip of a hot soldering iron (you should see the solder melt), you may be able to revive this. Be sure to do all four…the issue isn't always in the clock/data lines…spotty +5V/gnd connections can exhibit similar symptoms.

pburgess