Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?

by sadsully on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to electronics in general, but have been having a really good time learning it all. I recently received a strip of the digital addressable LEDs, which I have running perfectly with the example program. However, I was trying to write a program that interfaces to my computer via the serial interface, to communicate to an app I have written in processing that allows color selection and pattern selection for the led strip.

The program + serial communication works perfectly when I do it with some RGB leds for testing, but as soon as I connect the strip everything goes to pot. I am assuming it is some kind of conflict in using the serial, since both the strip and the computer connection want to use the Serial interface?

Am I on the right track? Any pointers on how I can sort this out?
sadsully

Re: Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?

by pburgess on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 am

The two should work together fine. If this is an Arduino Uno, the Serial port will tie up digital pins 0 & 1, while the LEDs can use most any other two pins.

I'd suggest having a read through our Digital RGB LED Strip tutorial if you haven't already. This explains the wiring, the code, the whole deal.

You might also have a look at the source code for Adalight, especially the LEDstream sketch. This is a pretty complex program, but you might be able to pick out the bits that make sense to what you're doing...this sketch works in conjunction with Processing code on a host PC.

pburgess