Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sadsully

Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?

Post by sadsully »

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to electronics in general, but have been having a really good time learning it all. I recently received a strip of the digital addressable LEDs, which I have running perfectly with the example program. However, I was trying to write a program that interfaces to my computer via the serial interface, to communicate to an app I have written in processing that allows color selection and pattern selection for the led strip.

The program + serial communication works perfectly when I do it with some RGB leds for testing, but as soon as I connect the strip everything goes to pot. I am assuming it is some kind of conflict in using the serial, since both the strip and the computer connection want to use the Serial interface?

Am I on the right track? Any pointers on how I can sort this out?

pburgess

Re: Using Digital LED Strip + serial to computer?

Post by pburgess »

The two should work together fine. If this is an Arduino Uno, the Serial port will tie up digital pins 0 & 1, while the LEDs can use most any other two pins.

I'd suggest having a read through our Digital RGB LED Strip tutorial if you haven't already. This explains the wiring, the code, the whole deal.

You might also have a look at the source code for Adalight, especially the LEDstream sketch. This is a pretty complex program, but you might be able to pick out the bits that make sense to what you're doing...this sketch works in conjunction with Processing code on a host PC.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”