Power Supply Board for LPD8806

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
georgeioak

Power Supply Board for LPD8806

Post by georgeioak »

I decided to celebrate Hack Friday and do some designing. I purchased a 1M strip of the LPD8806 to start with and I didn't like the hack I had to do to connect to the Arduino and provide power so I decided to design my own bird. I posted a couple of renderings of it over on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/10600128341 ... yBzRTid2vX. I picked an efficient step-down switcher from TI that provides 6A so enough power for 3 meters of LEDs. The board is only 1" wide by 2" long with plenty of copper for power and ground. I made a footprint that matches the pads on the end of the strip so you have the option of directly soldering the strip to the PCB.

My strip that I ordered didn't come with a connector on it and I see in the notes that a 2.5mm JST connector is used which I find odd because the pitch of the pads on the flex strip is 3mm. Because of this I added a footprint for a SMT Molex miniFit 3.0 connector. Not sure if that's a good thing since that makes creating cables a little harder for people since adafruit only sells the JST cables.

Let me know your thoughts and interest and I can order more PCBs if people want them. I'm going to have extra PCBs since I'll be ordering from SeeedStudio so I just thought I'd offer them up here and give people a chance to comment and make suggestions before the boards are ordered.

georgeioak

Re: Power Supply Board for LPD8806

Post by georgeioak »

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

Decided to make room for an additional cap on the input and the output, https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9e70Q ... GlQa1Nja0k

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

Guess I'll continue talking to myself :)

I updated the document to include dimensions now. I've got a 2-up panel and plan on ordering them tonight which will give me 20 boards and I don't have a need for all 20. If anyone wants any of these speak up now because most of the cost will be in shipping the boards so it's better to bump the order quantity now then order more later.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”