LPD8806 square one

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bmco2n

LPD8806 square one

Post by bmco2n »

Hello,

I have two questions: 1) I get the following error message from the sketch I copied from the tutorial:
A1RPGledstrip:0: error: expected unqualified-id before 'public'
A1RPGledstrip:1: error: expected unqualified-id before 'public'

All the curly brackets were checked out and I'm stumped. No changes were made in the copied sketch.

2) If this kit is a "belt", why does the tutorial specify the Arduino UNO, etc, board, rather than the ATmega32u4 breakout board? I was able to use the latter fine with the 1601(?) kit, and wonder how I can use it on the 8806 kit. As I recall, setting up the breakout board for the earlier kit was a real hassle, changing embedded code, etc.

pburgess

Re: LPD8806 square one

Post by pburgess »

Which tutorial are you following?

The original Digital RGB LED Belt Project covers the usage of the 32u4 board and power for wearable use, while the Digital RGB LED Strip tutorial (in the Adafruit Learning System) is a more "generic" introduction (not necessarily belt related), hence the use of the Arduino Uno. (Is there an oversight in the first tutorial that mentions the Uno?)

As for the error messages, rather than copying-and-pasting code from the tutorial, download the original files from Guthub, install the library and restart the Arduino IDE.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hello,

I'm slipping: I posted a reply yesterday and don't see it now. I remember seeing the acknowledgement that it was posted, but a glitch must have intervened.

In the post I noted with thanks the advice to not copy and paste the sketch from the above titled tutorial, but rather to download the software into the Arduino library. My other question was probably answered, presumably lost among in the missing posts. My question was: How can I turn the LPD8806 digital led strip into a belt that uses the earlier Atmegau4 breakout board? The UNO seems a bit large to use for a belt. Since Adafruit discontinued the older digital led strip, would the older 1601 tutorial work for the LPD8805 strip?

Thanks for staying with me.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The current belt tutorial is already written with the 32u4 board in mind.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hello,
Thanks for the link to the latest digital led belt tutorial.
Still at square 1. I click on the link in the digital led belt tutorial (LPD8806) for downloading the “inf” driver, but I get a data sheet window without a “download” button. http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/atmega32u4cdc.inf
I notice that the above link mentions Vista, but not “7”, the operating system for my PC.
I plugged in the atmega32u4--- anyway and the device mgr shows the Arduino Leonardo Bootloader without the driver.
Can you tell me how to download the driver from the tutorial?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

save the .inf file to the desktop (RIGHT CLICK on link)

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hello,
Can someone tell me how to retrieve my last reply? I saved it as a draft, but don't know where to find it. It's on the "LPD8806 square one subject". In this lost reply I answered the adviser's suggestion that I right click the link; that yes, I right clicked on the link for obtaiing the driver -- several times, hoping to see a page appear with a "download" button. No dice. Only text appears I suppose to be a program.

I'm using a brand new HP Pavilion with Windows 7. It's right click works for deleting, moving etc. I notice the above described text doesn't show anything above Windows Vista. Is this the poblem?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Only text appears I suppose to be a program.
The text you see is the actual contents of the .inf file. Right click on this and save as "atmega32u4cdc.inf" on the desktop.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hello again,
I hope this reply has some value to others as dense as I am, trying to put led belts together before Christmas.
Still on square one. Thanks for your last effort to help; I learned that one does not right click on the link in the LPD8806 led belt tutorial, one right clicks on the text file that appears when you left or right click on the link.
Download the **inf** by right-click saving this file and saving it to the Desktop
I have trouble parsing this sentence. Clicking on the tutorial link, I wasn’t downloading anything. A text file came up. Right clicking on it brought up a “save as”. I saved atmega32u4cdc.inf to my desktop.
Then I plugged in the atmega32u4 that came with the kit.
No installation Wizard appears, as promised in the tutorial. Clicking on the reset button on the device didn’t work to bring up the Wizard.
Repeating the “download” again, I saved the file as “All files”. That didn’t work either.
I plugged in another atmega breakout board that came with 8806 led belt kits I purchased from Adafruit. No dice.
I tried to install the Leonardo by updating it from the device manager. Choosing Browze, I used the suggested location, C: users\scarbo\desktop (scarbo is my laptop’s name). The response to this was:” Try another location”. Several permutations of where to look didn’t work, either.
Thankful, as I am for such a great resource in Adafruit and appreciation for ladyada tutorials, I wonder if the “open Source” idea is not really inclusive, expecting quicker minds and jargon familiarity from beginners. I’ve aways wondered how a text file is supposed to be a program file for installations. Years ago when making 1606 led belts, I asked this question in forums. No answers. Apparently, by some unknown process, resaving the file turns it into a program file. I managed somehow to get a “Leonardo” file in my desktop years ago, but computers are disposable items and this was lost. I’m destined to repeat the same weeks of wasted time, once having solved the problem. :idea: With due respect, I suggest you redo the link message, something like, “Click on this and you will see a text file. Right click anywhere on the file and a box will appear for saving it to your desktop. Mysteriously the file will become a program for installing Leonardo bootloader.” :roll:

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Howdy howdy,

With one of the 32u4 boards connected, open the Devices and Printers dialog (Start Menu -> Devices and Printers). Is there a "generic" icon there for the Adafruit board? (As an "unknown" device or some such.) If so, right-click the icon and select the option to install a driver, selecting the .inf file that you previously downloaded.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hello,

Thanks for replying. First, the icon that's on my desktop has the image of a gear overlaying it and I think that's the one that works as a program. Still, plugging in the atmega doesn't evoke the install Wizard. (Often, the downloaded desktop icon showed as a text file without the gear.)
When I start>devices and printers>the leonardo bootloader appears. Right clicking gives three choices: Create a shortcut, troubleshoot and properties. In troubleshoot, it looks for, but can't find a driver,searching the computer or the internet. I'm not asked to enter a location. Properties only tells that there's no driver.
Incidentally, when I connect the board, the device manager shows the leonardo bootloader, but no com port. Does the driver have to be installed before a com port will appear?

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Howdy,
Below, I pasted the contents of the atmegau4cdc.inf file as code, as I don't know if it's code or not. As you can see, the text contains Windows 2000/XP/Vista-32bit Sections, but not Windows 7. Might this be the problem? If so, can the file be edited to include 7?

Code: Select all

Windows USB CDC ACM Setup File
; Copyright (c) 2000 Microsoft Corporation

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%MFGNAME%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
CatalogFile=%MFGFILENAME%.cat
DriverVer=11/15/2007,5.1.2600.0

[Manufacturer]
%MFGNAME%=DeviceList, NTamd64

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;  Windows 2000/XP/Vista-32bit Sections

[DriverInstall.nt]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=DriverCopyFiles.nt
AddReg=DriverInstall.nt.AddReg

[DriverCopyFiles.nt]
usbser.sys,,,0x20

[DriverInstall.nt.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[DriverInstall.nt.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService.nt

[DriverService.nt]
DisplayName=%SERVICE%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys

;  Vista-64bit Sections

[DriverInstall.NTamd64]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64
AddReg=DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg

[DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64]
%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys,,,0x20

[DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[DriverInstall.NTamd64.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService.NTamd64

[DriverService.NTamd64]
DisplayName=%SERVICE%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys

;  Vendor and Product ID Definitions
; When developing your USB device, the VID and PID used in the PC side
; application program and the firmware on the microcontroller must match.
; Modify the below line to use your VID and PID.  Use the format as shown below.
; Note: One INF file can be used for multiple devices with different VID and PIDs.
; For each supported device, append ",USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy" to the end of the line.
[SourceDisksFiles]
[SourceDisksNames]
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001&REV_0001
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001&REV_0002
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001&REV_0001
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001&REV_0002
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_239A&PID_0001

;  String Definitions
;Modify these strings to customize your device
[Strings]
MFGFILENAME="CDC_vista"
DRIVERFILENAME ="usbser"
MFGNAME="http://www.adafruit.com"
INSTDISK="LUFA CDC Bootloader Driver Installer"
DESCRIPTION="Communications Port"
SERVICE="USB RS-232 Emulation Driver"

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

that is not important, it does not need win 7 section. check the flora tutorial for a SIMILAR driver installation (but you should STILL use the atmega32u4 inf file NOT the flora driver file)

http://learn.adafruit.com/getting-start ... ndows-only

remember to select the folder that CONTAINS the atmega32u4 driver file NOT the flora driver file.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Hola,
Thinking I may get somewhere – thanks. I downloaded Flora and extracted it into my desktop. Opening the file, I see the usual file folders for Arduino. Opening the driver folder, this list appears:

I want to make sure I get it right. Is “drivers” the right place to look for atmega? Should I activate the ide and look for it there? I opened the Leonardo above and right-clicked on the text, but “Save as” wasn’t an option. I opened other files shown above, as well as (hardware, libraries, examples, etc) and I don't see “atmega”.
If I do find atmegau4---inf somewhere, how does one select it to be active when plugging in the device?

As an aside, I downloaded the atmegau4--inf from the 8806 tutorial in my old XP. After a few trys, I got the desktop icon showing the little gear image. Again, plugging in the device didn't evoke the install Wizard. So, I guess the problem isn't with the Windows 7, to confirm what you said.

bmco2n

Post by bmco2n »

Oops, :oops: the list didn't transfer. Here it is in the "drivers" folder:
Adafruit flora
Arduino Leonardo
Arduino Mega 2560 REV3
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino ADK REV3
Arduino ADK
Arduino micro
Arduino UNO REV3
Arduino UNO
Arduino USBSerial
LilypadUSB

That's all I see under "drivers"

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”