Program AmbiBox for Adalight (for Windows users only). Updat

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bavilo

Re: Adalight with AmbiBox (for Windows users only)

Post by Bavilo »

I have finally finished my project and I hope that my results will be an inspiration for those who are still thinking about attempting or are having difficulties with this.

I have to say that, at first all of this sounded a lot harder than it actually is. The problem is that there are a lot of deprecated methods still being brought up which causes a lot of headache and confusion. Thanks for Ambibox (Probably THE best screen capture for Ambilighting). Without it, I would probably still try to setup all my zones in Processing only to become disappointed by the results.

Here is my current setup:

55" LG 3D TV
100 bullet type WS2801 LEDs
Arduino Uno R3 running Adalight
Ambibox v2.1.0 + Playclaw 4 to capture video players, games, etc.
XBMC for normal Videos
KMPlayer for 3D Videos

Total cost to get everything working was around 120 Euros.

Connecting the LEDs to the Arduino was a breeze. Supplying enough power for 100 LEDs was not a problem thanks to the 5v 10A Power Supply. Uploading the necessary sketches to the Arduino and running the first test pattern worked "right out of the box". The most frustrating and head ache causing part was the screen capturing software...

Processing - Old and deprecated, you have to define each zone using x and y coordinates. You have little to no control over color, gamma, etc. It is also one of the slowest screen capturing software out there.

Atmolight - This one has given me the most head aches for sure... The sketches needed for this just didn't want to upload to the Arduino Uno. I can't say if the software itself is any good since I was not able to test it.

Lightpack (now Prismatik) - Very good software, lots of options, and great compatibility. Only problem...setting up the zones. If the zone calculator wasn't this weak, this would have been a good choice.

Ambibox - Much like Prismatik but this time...everything is working the way it should! Individual color adjustments for each zone, great zone wizard, just awesome. User demmax2004 was kind enough to iron out any issues I had in getting Ambibox up and running and I would like to thank him for that. Thanks to him, I now have a ambilight setup that I could have only dreamed of!

In order to show you my satisfaction, I have prepared a short video and a few pictures of my current setup!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Youtube Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_icyqHsk0M

Good luck!

demmax2004

Re: Adalight with AmbiBox (for Windows users only)

Post by demmax2004 »

narfel

Re: Program AmbiBox for Adalight (for Windows users only)

Post by narfel »

Well this program captures my Unreal Tournament fine. But some things are annoying, in game it displays CPU and GPU temperature, thats very distracting. I have no idea if its a PlayClaw (do i really need this, what is it anyay) or an Ambibox thing. So no idea where to look to get rid of that.

Also PlayClaw confuses me, do i have to have it running, do i need it? There are other capture options in Ambibox.

Sometimes Ambibox just doesn't capture my Desktop. It just stops, after switching capture methods.

Zone Wizard is unusable. It cant setup something like this:
P50.jpg
P50.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
I'm just to lazy to recreate my whole profile manually again including individual color correction offsets.

demmax2004

Re: Program AmbiBox for Adalight (for Windows users only)

Post by demmax2004 »

But some things are annoying, in game it displays CPU and GPU temperature, thats very distracting. I have no idea if its a PlayClaw (do i really need this, what is it anyay) or an Ambibox thing. So no idea where to look to get rid of that.
playclaw_overlays.png
playclaw_overlays.png (64.49 KiB) Viewed 10895 times

demmax2004

Re: Program AmbiBox for Adalight (for Windows users only). Updated 27.01.2013

Post by demmax2004 »

New release

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Added to the wizard zones option "cutout".

Those who want to try wizard zones, write me a mail.

Chunkers

Post by Chunkers »

Hi, I am based in the UK and have just ordered the components to build an Ambilight / Adalight type system. I am impressed with the screenshots and description of the AmbiBox software and am hoping to use it.

I would be grateful for any advice regarding its suitability for my system components :

HTPC running Windows 7 Media Center (i3 based with ATI 5450 graphics card and 4GB RAM)
50 LED pixel string, WS2801
5V 8A PSU

It is a dedicated HTPC running W7 MCE in fullscreen all the time, I am particularly interested to know whether the AmbiBox software works well with Windows Media Centre running like this and whether system is powerful enough.

The only other software I use is TMT 5, I see there is an issue with this on your documentation so I may need to consider an alternative ...... any suggestions for playing Blurays with good compatibility?

Regards

Chunks

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

I would be grateful for any advice regarding its suitability for my system components :
I not have Adalight device, I can not say anything.
The only other software I use is TMT 5, I see there is an issue with this on your documentation so I may need to consider an alternative ...... any suggestions for playing Blurays with good compatibility?
A list of compatible players see the link in the first post.
I can only recommend a good player - is XBMC (the best, but does not support BluRay 3D).

csimpson

Post by csimpson »

Hi,

Any tips for using Ambibox and PlayClaw with Windows 8?

I think this is the best way to run a LED setup, but Windows 8 Desktop Window Manager / 'Aero' makes the desktop experience very slow and flickery. Is there anything I can do to fix this while still having Ambibox/PlayClaw on all aspects of Windows/media-player/games?

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Developer PlayClaw, working to capture in Windows 8, but it still can not capture in windows 8. Capturing the desktop works in Windows 7, but until the color data are not transmitted in AmbiBox.

Chunkers

Post by Chunkers »

Hello again, I am hoping for a bit more advice.

I have got my adalight system assembled and connected to my HTPC using a 50 led string of WS2801 led pixels.

I have installed the LEDstream software on the Arduino Uno and tested using the Processing applications Colorswirl and Adalight. I amended the Adalight code for my 50 LED's string and sampling and LED's work perfectly. As I have read elsewhere the CPU overhead seems to be quite significant but more importantly it only appears to function in 'Windowed' mode i.e. not fullscreen.

I would call this a successful test of my setup.

I have patched WIndows 7 and then installed Ambibox and Playclaw and using the 'playclaw' software capture setting and nothing happens at all. Specs :

Windows 7 32 bit
ATI 5450 gfx card
4 GB RAM
i3-2100 CPU

I must have missed something, could anyone give me any clues as to what?

Basically the machine runs as an HTPC using W7 MCE in full screen all the time so that's all I really need to work.

Thanks!

Chunks

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

using W7 MCE in full screen
What is MCE ?

Chunkers

Post by Chunkers »

demmax2004 wrote:
using W7 MCE in full screen
What is MCE ?
Sorry, I mean Windows Media Center. Used to be called MCE but no longer, my bad.

C

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7(x32):

1. [OK ] MPC-HC(x32) 1.6.xxx
2. [OK ] Light Alloy 4.6.x(x32, Render: EVR Sync)
3. [OK ] XBMC 11.0 "Eden"
4. [????] Mediaportal 1.1.2
5. [FAIL] TotalMedia Theatre 5
6. [OK ] Windows Media Centre (correct only fullscreen)
7. [OK ] PotPlayer 1.5.xxxx (x32)
8. [OK ] VLC Media player 2.0.4 (x32)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7(x64):

1. [OK ] MPC-HC(x32) 1.6.xxx
2. [FAIL] MPC-HC(x64) 1.6.xxx
3. [OK ] Light Alloy 4.6.x (x32)
4. [OK ] XBMC 11.0 "Eden"
5. [OK ] Mediaportal 1.1.2
6. [FAIL] TotalMedia Theatre 5
7. [OK ] Windows Media Centre (correct only fullscreen)
8. [????] PotPlayer 1.5.xxxx (x32)
9. [????] VLC Media player 2.0.4 (x32)
10.[OK ] GomPlayer 2.1.20
11.[OK ] The KMPlayer 2.9.4

Chunkers

Post by Chunkers »

OK, I re-installed AmbiBox and Playclaw and it is all now working correctly, excellent!

CPU load seems much lower than with Processing and MCE and XBMC run in full screen with no fudges under Windows 7 so I am happy.

I am now going to fabricate a simple frame to attach to the back of my TV and finish things off.

Chunkers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”