USB + Serial Backpack Kit with 16x2 RGB backlight negative LCD (item 784) not displaying full ine of text

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dscharge

Re: USB + Serial Backpack Kit with 16x2 RGB backlight negative LCD (item 784) not displaying full ine of text

Post by dscharge »

Is there any update on this one? I'm experiencing the same issue here and I rather would fix it with a firmware update if possible than sending it back from the UK.

dscharge

Re: USB + Serial Backpack Kit with 16x2 RGB backlight negative LCD (item 784) not displaying full ine of text

Post by dscharge »

Update:
This seems to be an initial settings issue coming pre-set with the board. Once started for the first time It did not work properly generating the issue described (only one character per row was showing). This problem persisted via usb while trying to print text from the arduino's serial monitor as well as from LCD Smartie.

Then I connected it with the direct cable to arduino, it was printing from the test sketch as it supposed to.
Then I downloaded a program called Realterm. It was connecting and printing text as it supposed to.

After this point these programs probably changed something in the backpack's conenction settings, because after these it works now as it supposed to even with arduino's serial monitor.

So it seems problem is solved.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the follow-up. I haven't been able to reproduce this here - possibly because my test unit has already been initialized. How did you have it initially connected?

dscharge

Post by dscharge »

After attaching the brand new backpack to the lcd, first started up by connecting it to the computer via usb. Then installed the driver (the inf file from downloads) and straight away tried via the arduino's serial monitor: where it generated the issue. Then tried with LCD smartie where it had the same issue.
Finally I disconnected it from the PC and connected it to an arduino via the JST cable provided with the display. Downloaded the sample sketch and it did work as it supposed to. At this point I did not check if the problem is otherwise fixed already so maybe this step already solved the issue.

I suspect the problem might have been at the lcd layout settings. It seemed like it has been set up not as a 16x2 but a 1x unknown display and since the sample sketch has it specified as 16x2 it works since then.

To check this I tested it as connecting the JST cable to the arduino and modified the sample sketch as it changes the LCD settings to 1x16 (see below)

lcd.write(0xFE);
lcd.write(0xD1);
lcd.write(1); // 1 columns (supposed to be 16)
lcd.write(16); // 16 rows (supposed to be 2)

This change generates the exact same issue I had in the first place.
I assume during the testing of the board after manufacturing the factory display settings remained in the board as 1 x whatever.

darrenw

Post by darrenw »

Thanks dscharge,

Sending the following HEX commands using RealTERM fixed the issue.
0xFE
0xD1
Each line above was sent separately.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”