PCD8544-Nokia 5510 problem

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jpguppy

PCD8544-Nokia 5510 problem

Post by jpguppy »

I just recently received my PCD8544 LCD and it seems that my included level shifter decided to go out on me during a test. Included is the video I just so happened to be taking of the LCD working, then it goes to a black screen. I tried to unplug the arduino to reset the LCD and it was only blank. I tested the voltages of the shifter and it seems that at least two of them won't output 3.3V anymore.

Here is the youtube link: http://youtu.be/VhoVI6DGIdA

Is it best to try and replace the HEF4050, or try another level shifter? Just stinks that I had it all of a few hours and the chip is faulty.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PCD8544-Nokia 5510 problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I couldn't see the wiring to the breadboard very well in the video. Please post a photo of that and we'll make sure everything's connected properly.

If the 4050 did die for unknown reasons, we'll get you another one.

jpguppy

Post by jpguppy »

Here are some photos. Sorry for the messy wiring:

I tried firing it up just out of curiosity again today. It seemed to try to work for a second- the first flower screen and the first few line drawings started to come up before it quit again. They didn't seem to run at the correct speed as the initial run time and the contrast was bad as well. I've changed nothing on the Arduino.

jpguppy

Post by jpguppy »

Here is another showing the wiring a bit better.

jpguppy

Post by jpguppy »

bump?

adafruit_support_mike

Sorry, missed your update with the pics.

The wiring looks correct. The speed and contrast issues sound strange though.

Just to be safe, disconnect the wires that go to the LCD. The worst-case scenario would involve 5v signals getting through to the output pins, and even though I'm not sure how that would happen, I'd rather not learn the hard way.

Once you've done that, let's do some basic debugging: check the voltage between the rails to confirm that it is indeed 3.3v.. a regulator failure on the Arduino is theoretically possible. Check it both at the rails and at the VDD/VSS pins of the chip.

Next, write a simple sketch that sends all the pins you're using LOW for 3 seconds, then HIGH for 3 seconds. The goal is to check the input and output voltages for each buffer. If you have two meters, this would be a perfect time to break them out.. connect one to the input pin and one to the output pin. If you only have one meter, the 3s window should give you enough time to get readings from both.

As simple as this chip is, any failure should be pretty easy to see.

jpguppy

Post by jpguppy »

This is interesting... I had tested the 4050 before and did not get 3.3v out of any of the buffers. It may have been with the Arduino 5v power out... Since the shifter is working, it seems that it could be the screen itself. Both the shifter and the 3.3v Arduino power out are working at correct voltages.

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, at least we know the chip isn't totally dead.

At this point, I'm going to resort to the debugging technique called 'wiggle the wires around'.. breadboards are notorious for being noisy and having mediocre connections. From the orderly way the display blacked out in the video, I lean toward a suspicion that one of the data lines broke connection and started feeding the display driver zeros. That would be consistent with the fact that you couldn't see any output from the level shifter.

Do a continuity test between each input pin on the 4050 and each Arduino pin where it's supposed to connect.. ideally to the blob of solder on the bottom of the PCB (or the appropriate pin of the microcontroller if you really want overachiever points). Then run a similar set of tests between the 4050's output and the input pins for the display.

jpguppy

Post by jpguppy »

I moved the LCD over onto a breadboarded arduino with a LM317 puting out 3.15v to ensure that the power input to the 4050 was accurate (I had been running it from the 3.3v on my arduino uno) and migrated the program over. Checked the 4050 with the 3 sec. program you recommended and all outputs read 3.15v. The LM317 also stays steady throughout the program. Also tested the conductivity on the header to the board and everything seems fine, but still no LCD output, just the backlight. Double and triple checked my pin settings. Any recommendations from here?

adafruit_support_mike

At this point it sounds like there's a problem with the LCD. Let's swap the one you have for another.

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they'll handle the details.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”