The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

Interfacing LED belt with Arduino Esplora

by Pjpuas on Tue May 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi there, new here to the forums. I need some help figuring out how to interface 2 digital LED strips in parallel to an Arduino Esplora.
I think it would be really awesome to be able to control an LED belt with said controller. The esplora comes with an on board RGB LED that
led me to believe it could be done. However, my programming skills are far from decent and I fear I have taken a far larger bite than I should
have. I'm having issues figuring out how to even run one strip from the Esplora. I have an inkling that it is more due to the Esplora using the
Arduino 1.0.4 release as opposed to the LED belt kit prescribed Arduino 0021 release. I say this since both the Esplora and the breakout board
provided in the kit run on the same Atmega32u4 chip.

Any and all help will greatly be appreciated. I have plans to wear this to the Dallas Comic-Con event in a few weeks, and my time is getting real
short to make it happen as I had envisioned. Thanks very much for reading and I hope you have a great week.
Pjpuas

Re: Interfacing LED belt with Arduino Esplora

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 am

I haven't had a chance to play with the Esplora yet, but from looking at the schematics, I think it should be possible. The Esplora uses the same processor as the Leonardo, but many of the pins are committed to the on-board functions. However, it looks like you could control the strips from the 2 tinkerkit outputs.
adafruit_support_bill

by Pjpuas on Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks very much for the reply adafruit_support_bill. Yes, I surmised as much as well. However, I should have been a bit more clear. What I am unsure about is how I'll have to modify the LPD8806 library to get it to work with the Esplora. Do I even need to do anything to said library? Seems like I am having some initial errors with my sketch not being able to identify said library. Even though I have the LPD8806 folder, so kindly provided by you guys, copied in the correct folder hierarchy.

Also, is it just me, or are there changes to the coding style between the Arduino 0021 and Arduino 1.0.4 releases? I've noticed some differences in the way the code is written in the examples provided for both the LED belt kit and the Esplora. Or is that just due to different peoples preferences?

So in reality I should have asked for any and all coding tips anyone might be able to muster to help me out with this little pet project. I have a much clearer understanding of the hardware in use; sadly the most critical part, the programming of said hardware, is still almost like magic to me. :oops:
Pjpuas

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 am

To use with the esplora, you need to modify the example code to select the pins you will assign for clock and data:

This is the default selection in the example code. I believe the tinkerkit pins are 3 and 11.
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
// Choose which 2 pins you will use for output.
// Can be any valid output pins.
int dataPin = 2;   
int clockPin = 3;

If you are getting compile errors with the library, post them here and we might be able to help.
adafruit_support_bill

by Pjpuas on Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am

Oh... haha Thats typical of me, I was making it way way harder than I needed to. Well I'll have to wait until after to work to post about any progress or any other questions I might have. But thanks again for the help. That was enough to get the old gears to turn again.
Pjpuas

by Pjpuas on Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Finally got some spare time to put this together and I got it to work like a charm. Got the sample code to run 64 LEDs. 8) So Stoked! Now I just need to figure out how to address the LEDs with the Esploras varied sensors.

Thanks for the help, and for providing such neat things to tinker with! :D

http://youtu.be/KOiLFguviwY
Pjpuas

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 am

Cool! Thanks for posting. :D
adafruit_support_bill