POV Art Installation HELPERS?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andrewerdna

POV Art Installation HELPERS?

Post by andrewerdna »

Hello Adafriends!

I am an artsist with very little experience in electronics. Even less experience in coding.

I need to create a POV installation. I do not want to do light painting or have the LEDs on a moving or spinning object. I am doing the static version by which you can only see an image by quickly looking left and right to either side of the LED strips.

I have a Raspberry Pi and 2 X 60 Neo Pixel strips but now what? I need a few pointers in assembly but mostly the coding to get create the images. I don't plan to learn coding anytime soon and was wondering if there is anyone in out there who is interested in getting involved?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: POV Art Installation HELPERS?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have a Raspberry Pi and 2 X 60 Neo Pixel strips
One issue you should be aware of up front is that the Raspberry Pi is not well suited for driving Neopixels. The Linux operating system is a multitasking system, and unless you want to delve into kernel-mode coding, you will not be able to achieve the tight timing required by these pixels. Any of the Arduino boards will be able to drive these strips.

andrewerdna

Post by andrewerdna »

Thanks. There are quite a few boards to choose from. I intend going up to 120 LEDs, any suggestions or minimum requirements I should be aware of? I also want to be able to power it all with batteries (even if big ones).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

An Arduino Uno can handle several hundred pixels easily. The more pixels you have the longer it will take to update the strip and the more power you will need. There are folks who know the timing better than I do, but for the power you should probably plan on a battery pack capable of delivering 3-4 amps.

I'm going to move this to the "Glowy Things" forum for better visibility among the led experts.

andrewerdna

Post by andrewerdna »

Glowy things sounds about right. Thanks Bill.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”