Variable dispersion in 5mW 650nm Laser Diode

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
anyademko

Variable dispersion in 5mW 650nm Laser Diode

Post by anyademko »

I recently purchased 6 5mW 650nm laser diodes from adafruit to use to create a prototype circuit for a laser triggered musical staircase. I designed the final circuit assuming the that the intensity (given their dispersions) of these 6 laser would be representative of the general product. The dispersion of each laser (at approx 4ft), was variable, but all with range of about 2.5cm diameter (usually with a more intensity rectangular strip in the middle of the general circular area). I then ordered 10 more. In the batch of the other 10, some of the dispersions of the lasers were much larger, one of them up to 7cm. This caused some problems in the final project.

I am looking to replace some of the lasers I bought (about 7 or so), and I was wondering if there was any way to be guaranteed to get lasers with a certain max dispersion at some distance (the distance i'm working with is 2.5 cm).

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Variable dispersion in 5mW 650nm Laser Diode

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will try to help you out. I can't guarantee that we will have the narrower dispersion lasers in stock, but we will do what we can.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”