CONTROLLING 3 NEOPIXEL RINGS FROM ONE ARDUINO

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
slurry bowl

Re: CONTROLLING 3 NEOPIXEL RINGS FROM ONE ARDUINO

Post by slurry bowl »

thanks

scanlime

Post by scanlime »

The Fadecandy controller is only designed for use with computers that have USB, so you won't be able to connect it directly to an Arduino. One option would be to move up to a Raspberry Pi to control the whole project, but if you'd rather keep it small you might check out recent versions of the FastLED library. They've started including some color dithering inspired by Fadecandy's algorithm.

slurry bowl

Post by slurry bowl »

Thanks for all the input. I am in the process of learning my Rasberry Pi and upgrading to that. I also am investigating FASTLED and if that can help me. After all the work designing the controller board, Im ready to take anther step. I would like to use distance sensors to change the color combos of my neopixel rings. When the distance sensor value changes(someone walks closer) the color combination changes. Where it gets tricky is Id REALLY like it to fade to the next color setting using some kind of dithering. Im open to upgrading to a MEGA and using FASTLED while I get my pi online and my head wrapped around it....any help very appreciated.

slurry bowl

Post by slurry bowl »

Hey Bill !

Im wondering if a function can be called so that I can run a set routine, which would slowly fade, something like this:

Color combo 1 (hold for 45 seconds)
FADE 1 (fade to Color combo 2 over 4 seconds)
Color combo 2 (hold for 45 seconds)
FADE 2 (fade to Color combo 3 over 4 seconds)
Color Combo 3........etc...

for around 20 Color combos.

Id like to manually control the settings of each ring, then hit a switch and have the project run a routine, continuously.

Id imagine I must use a call for map between each value. Which I have done for LPD8806 strips in the past.

How might I go about this?

if (pin 4 low) //switch input pin w/pulldown on
then ( run routine)

if (pin 4 low)
then (run manually)..

any fade help appreciated. Ive heard fastLED library can help here and I have the latest version. Im unclear how it can help.

Also, would upgrading to a mega help here?

THANKS very much.
Here is a new pic, the 60 ring is on the far left. Its finally working! It looks really amazing in motion.
IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3895.JPG (820.16 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”