1.2" 7-segment LEd with backpack has d.p, on top?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dconner

1.2" 7-segment LEd with backpack has d.p, on top?

Post by dconner »

I'm confused that the product display and tutorial all show the device upside down (the decimal point is on top!). When I hook mine up it too displays upside down. It makes programming for a decimal point on the bottom a little difficult. Am I missing something? Is it not really a decimal point?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 1.2" 7-segment LEd with backpack has d.p, on top?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

It's a decimal point. I think it was simply photographed this way so that the wires are not in the way, as they would be if the connector was shown at the bottom.

dconner

Post by dconner »

My current application just uses the colon so mounting the display upside down is not a problem. If I were using the decimal point (at the bottom) then I would need to mount the display with the decimal point at the bottom. That would require programming the numbers upside down which means I would need to address individual segments to display digits 0-9 unless the graphics library provides upside down digits. Do you see the problem?

tim mcpherson

Post by tim mcpherson »

I see the problem as you stated it. Apparently the library was written without regard for the decimal point location on that particular 7-segment display. The end character displayed in the image from the tutorial would make no sense with the decimal LED at the bottom where it should be. (rotated 180 degrees)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The implementation does follow the orientation shown in the display manufacturer's data sheet. http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/BL-Q120A-41.pdf
Although an inverted mode in the library might make sense for some applications of this display

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

It's actually not a decimal point, its a 'degree point' - if it were a decimal point there'd be more of them :) we couldn't source a good quality 1.2" 7-segment with proper decimal points.

tim mcpherson

Post by tim mcpherson »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”