Bypass two pixels on neopixel stick

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fullysearchable

Bypass two pixels on neopixel stick

Post by fullysearchable »

Hi,
firstly, being the nincompoop that I am I reversed the polarity when testing my neo pixel and blew the first two pixels.
I have unsoldered them so I'm left with a strip of 6. However I'm having trouble getting the remainder to work.

I have attached ground and live to the opposite end of the board but I'm having trouble with the 'data in' wire. I know the remaining pixels work as occasionally when disconnecting the device they will all flash on briefly.

Any help would be appreciated.

In my defense, I only had a very wide tipped soldering iron :)
IMG_20140420_133035-picsay.jpg
IMG_20140420_133035-picsay.jpg (670.56 KiB) Viewed 263 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Bypass two pixels on neopixel stick

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The DI pin is pin 2. See the second page of the data sheet: http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf

fullysearchable

Oh brill, thanks a bunch. Was hoping there was a datasheet lurking about.

Thanks

fullysearchable

Quick question.

As it's difficult to get to the DI of the first good LED, I have soldered the data wire from the Arduino to where the DO pin from the previous burnt LED should be.

I now have control over the stick again (Yay) however the first LED get extremely hot suggesting a short. While my solder joints are messy I can't see any short. Could use suggest a cause of the heat?

Cheers
Last edited by fullysearchable on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fullysearchable

So looking again at the bottom of the datasheet, it looks like DO does go straight to DI so that should be ok, I must have a short with my soldering.

EDIT: There is definitely not a short with my soldering so I am back to being perplexed :P

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not sure what would cause the heating. I suppose it is possible that pixel was also damaged by the original reverse-voltage situation.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”