FadeCandy and NeoPixel Strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
desertpunk

FadeCandy and NeoPixel Strip

Post by desertpunk »

Hello! I recently got my FadeCandy, and was able to get things running between my laptop and a little 4x4 matrix I had made earlier.

I set out to make a bigger one with the meter of NeoPixel (30) strip I got. I made it 6X5, wired it up the same (zig-zag method) and have checked that I have the direction right.

When I give it power (from the end) everything flickers for a second, then nothing. I am using a 5v 1A power supply over a barrel jack.

I have used the circuit tester on my multimeter on the positive and negative connections and I'm not seeing any shorts.

Here is a video of when I barely plug in the barrel jack to give it power.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/setpdfv6r1a46 ... .06.53.mp4

Is this being caused by too few amps being available via the power supply? Could you recommend any troubleshooting steps I should give a try? Thank you!

Here is a video of the flicker when the barrel jack is just barely plugged in:

[url][/url]

big_red_frog

Re: FadeCandy and NeoPixel Strip

Post by big_red_frog »

Not sure how this is done on fadeCandy, but on a 16x16 matrix I am running, I turn the brightness right down to limit the implied max and running current.

If this is straightforward on fade candy try running at 1/4 brightness, if things are then good, it's highly likely peak current issues...

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The flicker when power is first applied is pretty normal.

It's possible you're experiencing the First Pixel Problem. Try putting a jumper from "DI" on the first pixel to the second pixel (you can either pierce the silicone sleeve with the tip of a solid wire, or slide the sleeve part way off). Any change?

desertpunk

Post by desertpunk »

Thanks for the replies. @BigRedFrog the issue I'm having is that they don't light up at all, not even running the test patterns off the FadeCandy server.

@pbugess thanks for the suggestion. I tried moving the DI further down the strip but still didn't get anything turning on. This is kind of puzzling since the 4x4 worked fine and they are both wired up the same. I went through and checked that everything matches up and that there are no crossed wires as far as I can tell, everything is like-to-like and headed the right direction.

big_red_frog

Post by big_red_frog »

My own tests failed in an odd way when I was maxing out the current. So depending on what you are trying to configure your display to at the start you "might" see your symptoms.

I did two things, incrementally limited the number of active pixels first and could see that I was dropping out at around 180 pixels. Just try running your original 4x4 code.

Turning the brightness down to 1/4 and I can happily run all 256.

Having said that, if you are having problems even when only trying to light a few, then something else is up.

However, 5x6 Neopixels is enough for 1.8 Amps at max brightness, so again, depending on where you initialise, you could be well over the supply capability.

desertpunk

Post by desertpunk »

Thank you! I have a new power supply which can provide more amps arriving this week so I will test everything out with it soon.

I will post an update once I know more!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”