Lighting My Universities Emblem with Adafruit NEOPixels
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Lighting My Universities Emblem with Adafruit NEOPixels

by productionJunky on Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 am

Here are some pictures from the NEOPixel installation that I recently partook in at my university. The task was to light up the 19 foot round emblem, hanging in the student center. Our supervisors found the NEOPixels on the Adafruit website while evaluating various LED options for the emblem.

This project was specd out, installed, and programmed by me and two other students. We are all students at the University of Wisconsin Platteville, ranging from electrical engineering to industrial tech management and computer science. The project was undertaken as part of our employment for the Production Services branch of the Student Centers department.

To help you get an idea of the scope of this project, It took over 3300 neopixels, and 55 meters of strip to outline the circle, the 'M' and, the bell. A 200 Amp power supply was needed, and two Arduino Megas were also needed. The 'M' is run off of it's own Mega while the circle and the bell share the second Mega. The installation took us several days, due to the multiple power drops that we had to send around the emblem, and the fact that we had to do a lot of soldering while 30 feet up in the air on a Genie Lift.

Now that we have it installed, we have added a Blufruit, Bluetooth chip to each of the Mega's screw terminal shields, so they can both be programmed remotely. This we saw was a necessary addition seeing as the power supply and Megas are all housed 15 feet off the ground.

Let me know if you have any questions about the project!! I will be happy to answer, and be sure to keep an eye out for future updates.

Last edited by productionJunky on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
productionJunky

Re: Lighting My Universities Emblem with Adafruit NEOPixels

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Very impressive! Thanks for posting.
adafruit_support_bill

by finleyben on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

You all did such an awesome job on this project!
I've been nothing but impressed with the amount of work put into this project.
Congratulations on getting a feature on the blog!
finleyben

by productionJunky on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:57 pm

I know I'm late wishing it but happy independence day! click on the picture to watch the video of my 4th of July code in Photobucket.

productionJunky