Adding more Connectors to EL Tape?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Flyguy_40

Adding more Connectors to EL Tape?

Post by Flyguy_40 »

So I am looking to add more than just the 2 original connectors to the 3 foot EL tape. I saw the video on soldiering to EL wire, and was wondering if it is the same with the tape?
I am looking to cut the tape into 5 inch long strips and would like to power them all. My assumption would be to wire them in parallel in order to keep the voltage up (as well as the output).
Does anyone know if this is at all possible?

Thanks, Adam

bekathwia

Re: Adding more Connectors to EL Tape?

Post by bekathwia »

Soldering to EL tape is very difficult, and we don't recommend it to beginners. If one of your connectors falls off the end, it's possible to reconnect it, but check out this guy's photos-- http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS

You can see the tape has a different material at the ends, and phosphor along the strip-- you can really only connect to the nonphosphor spots at the end, not just anywhere along the middle.

You can use heat shrink tubing to mask the tape in sections to make a dotted line, or pick up a couple extra pieces of tape and resign yourself to wasting the middles.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”