2.8'' tft shield for arduino stop being responsive

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FD

2.8'' tft shield for arduino stop being responsive

Post by FD »

Hi.

This message will regard issue on this item https://www.adafruit.com/products/1651

After a successful first introduction, I came back to this screen to include it in a larger project with a small servo and a chronodot (also purchase at Adafruit).

My attempt to display time on screen were underway (I was having issues with the refresh rate) when after a new upload of code my screen went white and from that point on never display anything than backlight white. I put back the screen as a shield, without the rest of the components, but nothing changes.
Is there a reset of the screen I could do other than the button on the back ? Did I burned my screen ?

Edit : TouchScreen example display correct coordinates for touch gestures, leading to think that only the display part of the screen might be damaged. Problematic for a screen you could say.

Edit : Further testing might indicate that the flexible connector that links the circuit and the actual screen is the problem. When I received the component, the screen unglued immediately and I used it a little while before strapping down the screen with an elastic. It's death seems to be quite sure now. 40$ for 5 minute of use...

Ideas, advices and poems are welcome. Rymes optionnal.

Florian.

FD

Re: 2.8'' tft shield for arduino stop being responsive

Post by FD »

The LCD connector was slowly but steadily disconnecting from the circuit, hence my problems. In a stupid but desperate attempt to reattach it following a shady tutorial in the internet (I was truly desperate, yes) I finished breaking the ribbon connector loosing my 40$ once and for all...

Adafruit being a good company with inventive products, this won't affect my wish too keep using their products (even if they don't seem to be too concerned about technical help). But please Adafruit, if you ever read this : change your glue. If the glue holding the screen on the board hadn't been inefficient and the screen hadn't gone loose 8 seconds after unpacking I might have a functional screen (yes, in the story I am a lazy bastard for not re-glueing right away, but shush I am writing the tell here). So change glue, or put more, or screw it.

Florian, sorry customer (and a bit of a screw up on this one).

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi FD,

thanks for the post and the feedback, we'll share this with our team.

thank you,
adafruit support

harrzack

Post by harrzack »

Hmm - don't think the glue issue has been addressed yet. Just received that 2.8 display as a breakout board, and when I turned it over in my hand, the display fell out of the metal holder on the board...

FD

Post by FD »

To be fair I just posted ;)

Glue the hell out of it right away, if I can give you an advice, the PCB connector is, legitimately, fragile. That's what I am gonna do when I'll have bought a new (sic) one.

normlane

Post by normlane »

I reported this glue problem back in February to Rick. You people should be demanding refunds or replacements. Jeeze, it's not like it needs a re-design or anything, just an extra squirt of glue.

FD

Post by FD »

To be honest I was kind of expecting a commercial gesture from the guys at Adafruit...

Got a new one, glue problem still there.

Florian.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”