small rgb matrix 32*32

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rigby

small rgb matrix 32*32

Post by rigby »

Just want to let people know something here, Adafruit included.

http://imgur.com/mUOQHsp

On the left is one of the recent 32*32 matrices I purchased. I think I purchased the last three of a previous batch. One of which is shown on the right.

The MEDIUM 32*32 matrices I have, and the newest small ones I have share a pin out. The older small 32*32 matrices have a slightly different pin out. Green and blue are swapped. No biggie, can be handled a number of ways.

My issue is that the pinouts and the color rendering don't match between what you see on the left vs. what you see on the right.

The color balance is WAY WAY WAY different between the two. The newest is darker and leans into the green when sent full white. The older (and vastly superior) matrices are far brighter and actually light the color you intend.

I was going to rail all over Adafruit for quality control failures but I don't know that I could do any better. I know I can get these far cheaper from China, and I'm going to put my money where my mouth is before I blame Adafruit for purchasing the wrong stuff. If I can't do better, then I can't do better. If I can, I can post anything learned here so that the Adafruit purchaser can make use of it.

I've spent over $3k with Adafruit this year, and then I've been very happy with every purchase I've made, so I don't feel bad about this purchase alone. I just wish this recent purchase matched what I already had on hand.

So, if you're gonna buy a few of these, buy them all at once.

In the meanwhile I'm going to waste money trying to source these from China hoping I can find some more of what you see pictured on the right.

I buy from Adafruit because Limor is awesome, Adafruit is awesome, and because I want to keep my money as local as possible. I need to know what I am buying, though.

adafruit

Re: small rgb matrix 32*32

Post by adafruit »

thanks, we'll check this out.

adafruit2

Re: small rgb matrix 32*32

Post by adafruit2 »

if your matrices aren't working for you, email support@adafruit for a refund.
we're working on getting these to be a more stable supplier

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”