Question on Adafruit NeoPixel NeoMatrix 8x8 (x6)

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SwizzCheeze

Question on Adafruit NeoPixel NeoMatrix 8x8 (x6)

Post by SwizzCheeze »

I would like to rig up 6 of these together, could you please direct me as to what supplies I will need? I know I will need at least a ATmega and as of now I am only running a UNO....will one PSA just be needed? thanks!

P.S. also want to incorporate the Fadecandy usb driver into this

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Question on Adafruit NeoPixel NeoMatrix 8x8 (x6)

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

six panels will use up just over half the available SRAM on a Uno. Depending on what else you want to do with it, you may be better off with a Mega, or perhaps a Leonardo.

The power you need depends on how you use the panels. On full bright white, each panel will draw around 3.5A. For more "normal" use, you may draw around 2A per panel. You may want to use 3 5A power supplies.

You would use a FadeCandy instead of an Arduino. You can connect up to 8 matrices to a FadeCandy.

wazou

Re: Question on Adafruit NeoPixel NeoMatrix 8x8 (x6)

Post by wazou »

I have 4 8x8 hooked up together and they work fine with 10A5V supply, that's around 2.5 A/matrices at max and I've never experience any issue. In your case I would aim for at least 15A PSU, if you are more concern about the price rather than the size of the PSU, a computer one will do the job ;)

I'm also running on FadeCandy only and it works like a charm, i'm using the matrix alongside with Processing.
Depending on what you want to do the FadeCandy may or may not be the best choice :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”