Ordered 5.6" display 1695

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ziggah

Ordered 5.6" display 1695

Post by ziggah »

First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the correct part of the forums.
And secondly, my spelling isn't the best.

I bought the "5.6" Display & Audio 1280x800 (720p) Kit - HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL" (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1695) on october the 3rd. I didn't order the powe adapter becose I live in Europe, and the plug wouldn't work. I do have a charger that has a knob that if I turn, I can choose between 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 Volts. I can also switch the end plugs, obviously I read the power adapter description, so I placed on the 5.5/2.1mm.
Now, when I plug everything (5.5/2.1mm to 220 outlet) and the VGA to the back of the monitor. I notice that the LED on the board with buttons (don't know what it's called) isn't on. No lights on the driver board either. So I call a friend on skype, when I notice a plastic smell. Not the burning plastic kind, the smell of newly opened plastic stuff, like the inside of a video game of a CD/CVC dase. I touch the chip on the board and it's fairly warm. Not hot, so I don't think that's the problem.

Obviously the adapter is DC and I discharged the static everytime I was about to touch it. Am I doing something wrong, or have I broken it/got a dud?

ziggah

Re: Ordered 5.6" display 1695

Post by ziggah »

Something i forgot to mention one of the capacitors-or resistors or whatever it's called in english- has a hole in the what seems to be shrink wrap material. The other two are fine, and the rubber like material on them is fine, but

ziggah

Post by ziggah »

Something i forgot to mention one of the capacitors-or resistors or whatever it's called in english- has a hole in the what seems to be shrink wrap material. The other two are fine, and the rubber like material on them is fine, but

ziggah

Post by ziggah »

Something i forgot to mention one of the capacitors-or resistors or whatever it's called in english- has a hole in the what seems to be shrink wrap material. The other two are fine, and the rubber like material on them is fine, but the third one has a small hole in it and a slightly larger part of it seems to be damaged by heat. As I said before, I think that the rubbery stuff around it is shrinkwrap, so I think it was heated too much/soldering iron was placed too close, so that can't be the problem. Atleast I think so. I'm not sure how this thing is suppose to work correctly or how i get it set up the right way and I'm a bit tight on time with the project, so if anyone who knows how it's suppose to work can reply, that'd really save me.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?

ziggah

Post by ziggah »

Sorry, didn't notice I made 4 replyes instead of just one, I didn't really know what I was doing.

No soldering, just plugged everyrhing in. I don't know how these boards are made, but I belive they have to be soldered by humans, and I thought someone heated the shrink wrap too much. I haven't done any soldering on my own. But I'll still provide pictures. They are made with my webcam, so the quality isn't very high.
I can't seem to find how to upload multile pictures or if I even can do that, so I'll just make more replyes.

This one here is the top of the board.
Attachments
Top of the board.PNG
Top of the board.PNG (718.6 KiB) Viewed 217 times

ziggah

Post by ziggah »

Bottom of the board
Attachments
Bottom of the board.PNG
Bottom of the board.PNG (717.32 KiB) Viewed 217 times

ziggah

Post by ziggah »

This was not caused by me, the only time i touched is when I was trying to turn it on.

I might be doing something wrong, so can you give me some instructions on how to set it up so it mirrors the image from the monitor?
Attachments
The capacitor.PNG
The capacitor.PNG (913.56 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”