Raspberry & Pixel Qi trouble

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dtagt

Raspberry & Pixel Qi trouble

Post by dtagt »

I purchased the 10" Qi and it doesn't work at 1024x600; the usual config.txt does not work either. Mine is

hdmi_drive=2

framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=600
overscan_left=128
overscan_bottom=128

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 6 0 0 1

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

gpu_mem=16

This way tvservice -m DMT outputs "1024x600 @70 hz 15:9" as the current mode (okay so far) but the menu of the controller says it's running at 800x480, 70hz. This does not make sense. The image takes up the whole display but it's blurred because the monitor is displaying 800x480 stretched and it looks pretty bad. Why does the controller force this even when the Pi is setting 1024x600? I have tried many other combinations, this is the one that works best but still I'm getting 800x480 instead of 1024x600. How to fix this?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Raspberry & Pixel Qi trouble

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You've tried the config.txt from the product page and it doesn't work?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1303

dtagt

Post by dtagt »

Correct.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

This is unusual, we'll see if the kits we have are set to the wrong frequency/resolution! if so we can send you a new board. please hold :)

dtagt

Post by dtagt »

Any news on this?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, still investigating...we pulled stock while we do more analysis. we'll get back to you very soon (hopefully today!)

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, by chance do you have a windows computer available? can you plug the monitor into your windows machine and go to
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution
and then click on the display and take a screenshot?

dtagt

Post by dtagt »

Sorry, I can't connect the display as a primary monitor, all I have are laptops. If you want windows to query the controller, I can tell you 1024x600 is not going to be on the list, I've done that before. As a secondary monitor for the laptops, the resolutions listed include 1024x768, which looks squashed, and 800x600, which looks native because the image is centered, with two black bars at the sides. Calling up the controller's menu shows the set resolution in both the 1024x768 and 800x600 cases. Does this answer your questions, or did you want something else?

Now, I have noticed that the controller does not sense HDMI; it has always been used through a HDMI->VGA converter. I should have complained about that when I bought it but I had other projects in mind and it sit there for quite some time. When I finally got to it I thought I was doing something wrong with the Pi, since I was a newbie, and kept using the converter, enduring the squashed image, having a perfect image was not that important. I have tested the controller with three laptops, through the HDMI output, and two working HDMI cables, none of them has any effect, the screen just stays off. Connecting through the HDMI->VGA box gives an image, but never 1024x600. I believe the converter box is good, it works with both the Raspberry and one smart-TV thingy, which output HDMI, to three different VGA monitors: the converter box reads the resolution of the monitor and both the Pi and the android TV set up the image correctly, so I think that when it's reading the bogus resolution list the controller outputs, that might be the source of the problem.

I don't think we can arrange a replacement of the controller? The HDMI input has never worked, but I didn't complain in time when I received it.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

oookay, that got complicated fast - next time you post up please do mention any converters, earlier issues, etc! it would help debug the issue quite a bit.

We can send you a new HDMI-LVDS driver, we do test each one with HDMI so its quite unusual you say it never worked... email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and put "ATTN PHIL" since you only need part of a product, not the whole thing.

dtagt

Post by dtagt »

Message sent at support. I sincerely apologize if I sent you on the wrong track, putting things together and then debugging issues remotely must be complicated. I planned to mention the converter but I held it up hoping for some useful quirk I didn't know, since many people are unprofessional and blame anything foreign as soon as they can and move on. I was wrong with you. Now I feel bad about making you lose time...!

dtagt

Post by dtagt »

Controller received. It works with the settings posted at https://www.adafruit.com/products/1303 (the product page of the Pixel Qi 10" + controller). The menu shows now "1024x600 60Hz" and it is beautiful. Note that, at least for me, hdmi_force_hotplug=1 is not needed.

The controller arrived with powersave set at 10 s. This gives little time to access the menu and change it. After setting powersave to off the image stays.

Once again, thanks very much, this is an awesome customer support story, since I complained so late and you still obliged.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”